Consents for renovations in ex-council flats?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 10 March 2015 10.57pm
I own a flat in an ex-council building and want to do renovations like replacing a kitchen and some other work. The relevant department tell me I need consent to do so and I need to submit an application but they also said they are not actually accepting applications until they clear last year's backlog. I fail to see how there can be a blanket stop on any renovations by council flat owners in Southwark for the foreseeable future? Anyone got any experience of this?
Wednesday 11 March 2015 1.04pm
No, but we are one of the cases caught up in last year's backlog - we will let you know how we get on / when something happens. We were told though that they only managed 7 cases in the month of January however (and that we were something like number 50 out of 200+), so I am not sure how long the wait is going to be :-(
Wednesday 11 March 2015 5.58pm
Do the council know what the inside of your flat looks like? I say put in the new kitchen; how would they know. I would also do the other things too provided they are safe and don't require planning permission. You own 'plaster in' and you'll soon find, if there is any major works on the horizon, that the council won't care that you are a leaseholder. The only things you really need to take into consideration is if you need to turn off the water to your flat and it affects others, or if you have district heating and are disconnecting radiators.
Thursday 12 March 2015 11.24am
How will they check if you just do it? You could go down the formal complaint route. To be honest, Southwark don't care about lease holders. they are useless. My windows are still faulty after 10 years and they cant fix them properly and when council staff came in to my flat, they didn't comment on the work we had done without permission.
Monday 16 March 2015 10.29am
you should complain to the council about the time it takes to approve any work on your flat.
the council are liable for any work around the windows. if you look on their website they say they are or intend do major work on heir freehold buildings this year and next year including outside windows.
I represent street properties leaseholders on the Home Owners Council (HOC) of Southwark council.
bill
Tuesday 28 April 2015 9.40pm
I recently finished dealing with the council about my new extension and front windows. They are quite reasonable and helpful

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: