Help with charity furniture donations and skip hire

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 27 May 2016 2.40pm
Hi All,

I will be moving into a new home shortly, but the apartment needs some modernisation and the old occupants have left behind some unwanted furniture. My partner is quite handy, so we are going to do a new Ikea kitchen and bathroom install ourselves, but neither of us have never had a project like this before, so am a little nervous.

The old furniture left behind, includes 2 beds (single and a double), some small wardrobes, and a dining table. The mattresses are not in the best shape, so we were going to throw them away, but wanted to give the bed frames and other furniture to a charity. I have found that the British Heart Foundation provide free collection (https://www.bhf.org.uk/shop/donating-goods/book-a-free-furniture-collection), but are there any local organisations that may be interested?

For the rest of the waste, we were thinking of hiring a skip. We live on the ground floor, so access is good. We can park 1 car in the carpark, but were hoping we could place the skip in one of the car parking spots and park our car elsewhere, as I do not know where else to put it. Do you think that is likely to cause any issues with other residents? I certainly do not want to upset anyone! The hire would be for approximately 1 week, or less.

Has anyone hired a skip and can advise on sizing? I have found this size guide (https://www.skiphire.services/sizes/), but genuinely wouldn't have a clue how many "black bin bags" I will need. It is a small kitchen with 6 cupboards and a bathroom with toilet, tub and sink. The two mattresses will also be thrown in. Would 4 yards be enough?

Any help or advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Tash
Tuesday 31 May 2016 3.11pm
I would go for 6 yards for what you have, it is surprising how it can mount up, also you will find more companies will offer a 6 yard and 8 yard than a 4.

There are plenty of local companies to choose from, give them a call to find out what they offer. If you are in Southwark you will need a skip license so if in another borough check the local authority website to see if you will need one. The license can take 7 working days + to arrive but the skip hire company will apply for it for you (for an additional charge eg. 80). The local authority will dictate where it can go, but if you have an idea of a good place to locate it (as you have) then let the skip hire company you choose know and they can put it on the form when they apply for the license.

I hope this helps!
Tuesday 31 May 2016 3.47pm
You could try Southwark Freecycle
https://groups.freecycle.org/group/southwark-freecycle/posts/all
Post items you want to donate and folk come to collect.
Wednesday 8 June 2016 11.49am
Our previous neighbours used the British Heart Foundation and for what we could see things seemed okay.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: