Estate agents in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7
Bumble Bee
Monday 24 June 2002 10.39am
I need to sell my flat and having never sold a flat before, I'm finding the prospect of choosing an estate agent quite daunting. Sorry to any estate agents out there, but all the ones I've met so far seem a bit slippery!

Do any of you have any advice on which estate agents to use in the area? Any recommendations gratefully received. (My flat's off Bermondsey Street)

Thanks a lot
Monday 24 June 2002 4.10pm
Having recently done the buying/selling thing

on Borough High St

Field and Son are friendly and good

I found Oliver Jaques unprofessional and rude

Stirling Acroyd were only interested in the more expensive properties (as were Cluttons, Hamptons, Chestertons etc).

On Tower Bridge Road

Alex Neil are friendly and good

Duncan Allen struck me as old fashioned (no website!)

Felicity Lord are pushy and would probably get a good price

I don't know anything about the three agents on Bermondsey street, who should probably be your first call.

I suggest getting several round (3 minimum) and picking the firm you feel you could have a friendly relationship with. Look at how they do their details - do you get colour photos, a map of the area, a layout of the flat etc? Are they open on Saturday, when working people look in their windows. Also see if they'll bargain on what they charge. Don't necessarily go with the one who says they'll get you the highest price - this is a trick to reel you in.
Rob
Tuesday 25 June 2002 8.31am
I agree Oliver Jacques are arrogant, complacent and rude.

Ask for Pippa at Alex Neil if she is still there.
Tuesday 25 June 2002 8.36am
I generally concur with DavidA suggestions but can not comment on his views on other agents, I am not in the business of back stabbing.

If you wish to contact Roger Smith or Marianna Hardcastle at KALMARs Residential in 165 Bermondsey Street telephone them on 7940 7980. I hope they will give you not only a friendly but also a professional service. If not please let me know.

Richard Kalmar
Tuesday 25 June 2002 8.38am
I can highly recommend Williams Lynch on Bermondsey St. They've always been very helpful and straightforward.

Never had much success with Daniel Cobb further up, they didn't even bother to return my calls.

Hope it goes well
Tuesday 25 June 2002 9.45am
Hi Bumble ..

Having just bought in the area I thought you might like my opinion as a purchaser. I can honestly say that I see why estate agents have a bad reputation. Not one agent really listened or understood my requirement. None ever phoned back when they said they would, and trying to arrange a viewing was almost impossible.

I would definately avoid ..

Oliver Jaques (very rude and couldn't care less)
Stirling Ackroyd (I phoned and emailed 4 times and they didn't call back or send me any details)
Felicity Lord (led me up the garden path with a property already under offer)
Chestertons (completely uninterested)

Alex Neil were friendly but incapable of understanding what I was looking for.

Hamptons were the most friendly and pro-active in trying to find something for me, but even they had to be continually chased to get details or arrange a viewing.

Field and Sons also seemed a little more interested.

Didn't visit Kalmar's or Williams Lynch but I have heard that they are OK.

Resign yourself to the fact that you are likely to pay out a lot of money for a pretty lame service. If I ran my business like that I wouldn't have any customers!

If your flat is a little bit different then I would recommend Trading Spaces. Have bought and sold through them a few times and they are very good. Check out www.london-lofts.co.uk - their website.

Good luck!
Daniel
Tuesday 25 June 2002 9.53am
I would steer clear of Kalmars. They have been involved in introducing new buyers to already reserved property in a development to force existing buyers to up the price they reserved the property at thinking it was already theirs. Everyone knows that reserving property is only secure in as far as you can bank on the integrity of the people involved.
Tuesday 25 June 2002 9.53am
If you are looking for a good estate agent, I can recommend LIFE@Parliament View. They are a good company based on the Albert Embankment, SE1. They deal with property all around London. Call 0207-840-0555 Danny Samuels (Sales) Jonathan Werth/Wendy Stewart (Lettings)
george
Tuesday 25 June 2002 12.18pm
I found Oliver Jaques very helpfull as well as stirling ackroyd I think you should define what you want and where you want the propetry rather than leaving it to the estate agent to try and read your mind.
jim
Tuesday 25 June 2002 12.24pm
I don't think davida has a cue what he is on about.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7

This thread has been closed

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: