Looking for property to buy

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 28 October 2004 9.28am
Hello All

I am a new comer to this area and am looking to buy a ex-local authority flat with 2 bedrooms within a maximum of 10 minutes walking distance to any of the tubes such as Oval, kennington, Elephant and Castle, Borough. It really looks like a great area and am keen to move in. That great direct access to London City. I have already had a look at 5 properties, my two favourites so far were in Bath Terrace and Bronti Close. I can spend up to 175,000.

So if you know of any through agents, or being sold privately let me know, and I don't mind redecorating!

Fiona

Thursday 28 October 2004 10.25am
www.findaproperty.com is a great site.

Also, you need to be careful about mortgages for Local Authority places, some lenders will not lend on high-rise flats. Maybe good to check in advance of making an offer.
Thursday 28 October 2004 10.36am
Thats right. Most require the building to be under 4 stories high and have a minimum 25% privately owned
Thursday 28 October 2004 11.48am
Best of luck Fiona.

Most lenders will happily lend finance ex-local authority. It is true that they do sometimes have conditions, but I know of no-one who has had a problem getting a good mortgage - borrowing enough can be a problem though :o) Most ex-local here is really good value compared to what you get for new-build and it can also be of sturdier construction quality.

Make sure you really like the area - visit during the day and at night-time. You may want to rent in the area first for a year or two to really get to know it?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 28 October 2004 11.51am by red bus.
Thursday 28 October 2004 2.00pm
Hello Fiona, I used to live in Bath Terrace and really liked it there. Good luck.
Friday 29 October 2004 11.22am
I believe that the restrictions placed by mortgage lenders on high rise or concrete constructed ex-LA properties are mainly limited to first time buyers.
JSG
Friday 29 October 2004 3.11pm
Dear Fiona
I am looking to sell my 2 bed ex-local authority flat for about that sum. I have been procrastinating terribly as it needs a lot of decorating and I have decided that I'm missing out on the interior designer gene. I have not yet gone to estate agents re valuations etc. but want to move 'up' within the area as I've had a big promotion.

It is in a little estate off Long Lane - third and fourth floor (top) maisonette - just opposite the big new 'city walk' development. Nice (quiet) neighbours.

If you are interested send me a private message (can you do that?)
Jim
Monday 1 November 2004 9.18am
Hi JSG

Hope this does get directly through to yourself. If so can you send contact details back to me. email fmkelly@hotmail.com, this is my general email address.

Regards

Fiona
Thursday 4 November 2004 1.02pm
Have already worked in Elephant and Castle for 6-9 months. I also like spending time at South Bank. Luckily I have spent 2 weekends so far just looking around the area on my bicycle. It has been a great way to see the area and I have been really pleasantly surprised. I am not in a mad panic, just looking and waiting for the right place.

Fiona
Thursday 4 November 2004 3.26pm
Try looking at the estate agents at the Kennington end of Kennngton Road - they frequently have Borough/Bermondsey ex-LA stuff - we found ours down there - can't remember that particular agents name though - good luck!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: