Preston Close, Old Kent Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 2 February 2005 1.17pm
Hi Everyone -

Thanks for all your previous thoughts on property buying property in SE1. Have now found a flat on Preston Close, just off the Old Kent Road....does anyone live close to there? Looking for your thoughts on the neighbourhood,etc. before we buy.

I know the construction site opposite (which used to be Caesar's) is to be housing for nursing students with (I think) a health clinic on the ground floor.

Thanks!

Wednesday 2 February 2005 3.05pm
jessie are you sure they won't turn it into a pub again? have the plans been approved for the clinic etc.,Congreve street just behind used to be a bit rough, is there still a securicor depot behind preston close..? if so do they have lorries going in and out?
Wednesday 2 February 2005 3.15pm
Building for the clinic / shared housing has already begun - click on link below for a picture. I've calls into both the council and construction company to ensure the ground floor wouldn't be able to turn into a nightclub again. Am waiting to hear back....

http://www.mountanvil.com/Old%20Kent%20Road.htm

Thanks for the insight re: Congreve Street and also about the Securicor depot; I wasn't aware of either and will certainly look into!

Wednesday 2 February 2005 5.44pm
My sister lived in Congreve street till a couple of years ago and was glad to move - there was lots of noise and occasional fights spilling over from the OKR particularly on the weekends -might be better now ceasars gone-and generally lots of car vandalism - petty mostly but annoying- having said that many areas are the same.

The best thing you can do is go round there one evening and walk around and see the position for yourselves-also a friend of mine knocked on a few doors in a street she was thinking of buying in and asked the neighbours what it was like!
Wednesday 2 February 2005 5.49pm
One good thing Jessie Townsend street is a dead end so you wont have traffic at the back of the close.! I have just seen the website and it looks a great scheme, imagine having a clinic on the door step! if you move in there a good g.p.is in Decima street,off Tower Bridge road, very good practice there.
Thursday 3 February 2005 3.28pm
Thanks for the link Jessie, this is the first picture that I have seen - it's a bit 70's looking though isn't it.
I live on the opposite side of the OKR by the flyover so I'll get the dubious pleasure of having to look at it every day.
Still, anything's better than Ceasars, it used to be a nightmare at kick out time every Fri & Sat. It's been much more peaceful round here since it closed.
Generally this isn't a bad area to live, great bus links to everywhere in London, easy walk to Tesco & Lidl, crawling distance from some good pubs & eateries - we like it here.
Thursday 3 February 2005 9.31pm
I read in a LibDem brochure that Simon Hughes has big plans for the OKR renovation and it seems to be one of his priorities. I live just at the other side of Bricklayers Arms, and agree with Plum: nice area to live.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network