Looking for a flat to rent - without agents!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 19 April 2005 2.54pm
Can anyone recommend where I can look to find a nice one bedroom flat to rent in the london bridge area without going through an estate agent? I have always found that estate agents cost everyone involved more money, and so would like to rent privately, but there seems to be a lack of private ads in my usual source for finding a property (loot). can anyone tell me where private landlords advertise these days, or if its just there arent any in this area?! any suggestions welcome.....
Sal
Tuesday 19 April 2005 3.14pm
Try newsagents windows, they tend to advertise property locally. I know Kaycee's on Tower Bridge Road has a few at the moment.
Tuesday 19 April 2005 3.36pm
I understand they also use TNT/Gumtree. The Standard obviously. In the past I have had real sucess from adverts in the Times, as you get a smaller but better response.

Interested in a flat in Pimlico. Not cheap but very nice....
Tuesday 19 April 2005 3.44pm
Look in Loot, it's the best. You can get it on line or at the newsagents...
Tuesday 19 April 2005 4.22pm
Thanks for the offer, but Pimlico is a bit far away form my preferred location....! Out of interest as SE1 residents can anyone tell me the 'going rate' for a good sized good quality one double bedroom flat in the bermondsey street / shad thames / borough area... I have looked at some and have been shocked with some of the asking prices for flats like shoe boxes... !
Tuesday 19 April 2005 4.37pm
s martin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have looked at
> some and have been shocked with some of the asking
> prices for flats like shoe boxes... !
>
Unfortunately, I reckon you'd better get used to it.

(Based on when we were looking), IMO, for cheaper/bigger/better then I'd seriously consider foregoing closeness to tube/"trendy" areas and investing in a cheap push bike. Most of SE1 is within a short cycle of the tube/train stations and the nice bars/restaurants/places to hang out, but there's a fair difference between prices on Shad Thames and prices nearer OKR.

Good luck.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 19 April 2005 5.16pm
And a big difference between ex-council and private stock.

It is worth remembering though that there appears to be a glut of certain types of properties in London. It will certainly be quite difficult for some buy to let landlords to make a positive return on their investment. So everything is negotiable. If you can present yourself as a good tenant who is willling to take on a 12 month lease and will not be demanding lots of small improvements and can move in quickly, there is probably a deal to be done.

Another way of getting tenants is office noticeboards/web sites. I have got two sets of good tenants this way. Saving agents commission has allowed me to give a better deal. If you work for a big firm you could try asking if anyone knows of a property in the area.

Pimlico is really nice........

Tuesday 19 April 2005 6.24pm
All - slight divergence but close to topic

A couple of years ago the police contacted me to ask if I had any trouble when I was renting my apartment. I told them that I hadn't had any problems and, of course, asked them why they had called. It turned out that they had arrested someone, who was later jailed, for assault (with the use of a firearm).

Evidently the person in question would answer 'to let' adverts and attack the person who showed them the property.

Why did the police call me? My advert was ringed in the suspect's copy of Loot.

Regards

Niall
Wednesday 20 April 2005 10.14am
Another happy hunting ground can be the noticeboards of Guy's or St Thomas' Hospitals. The flats advertised here tend to be for poorer-paid nurses etc., so might not be your plush executive luxury living space, but could well be a bit more affordable.
Thursday 21 April 2005 8.43pm
The last/first newsagents on the s. side of the New Kent Road at the Elephant (under the railway bridge) has a heaving window of flats. It might be geared to students. Might be worth a look though.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: