Managing agent 'Admin' fees

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 9 August 2005 2.25pm
Hi there
Many of you on the formum know where I live and also know that the service charges in our building are quite high.
I personally pay 242 a month to Peverel and whilst lots of things about our building are good, other things are BAD and I consider that service charge to be disproportionate to the service we actually receive.
I recently got a kitten who just lives in my flat and is pretty well behaved and, in fact, utterly adorable. she doesnt disturb anyone and my neighbours are rarely in anyway.
In the interests of being a good resident I notified Peverel after someone told me I should.
I was then sent a form to fill in with my details and a request for 41.13 'administration fee'.
Considering I already shell out nearly 250 a month I am pretty flabbergasted about the bare faced cheek of this!
As far as I can tell they just have to file the form, yet want to charge me 41 for the privilege!!!!!
I complained about this and was told by the regional manager of Peverel, 'most things in life' incur an admin charge.Anyway, just wondered what you guys think and if anyone else has experienced this sort of thing?

Tuesday 9 August 2005 3.00pm
I think this kind of thing is quite common. Check the terms of your lease. If it says pets subject to further admin charge of 35 + VAT (41.13) then pay it if you want to keep your kitten (make mental note to read lease next time!), perhaps then claim it back from your solicitor as he should have pointed out the additional charge to you before exchange. If there is no mention in the lease about a charge then you could choose to ignore them or query the charge. These spurious charges are always negotiable, down to zero in many cases IMO.
Good luck
Tuesday 9 August 2005 3.10pm
Hi
It is in the lease yes, but whilst i dont object to a reasonable fee like a fiver or something to cover costs I do object to the greed of asking for 41.
Also, there are many much worse breaches of the lease in our building, namely multiple occupancies and lousy window dressings (sheets, tinfoil etc) which dont seem to get tackled and this is what really annoys me!
Tuesday 9 August 2005 3.30pm
Write a letter back to them saying the kitten has died so you don't need to register it with them anymore....
Tuesday 9 August 2005 4.45pm
Or you could wait a few weeks and then tell them that you left it in your car on Rockingham street for 5 minutes under the new parking "arrangements" and when you came back it was stolen. Then say it was a pedigree siberian and threaten to claim compensation.
Wednesday 10 August 2005 11.12am
Sarahmc, if you think 5 is reasonable then offer them that - or just ignore them. Telling them that the kitten has died is tempting fate, don't you think.
Wednesday 10 August 2005 2.04pm
I would never say that she'd died for precisely that reason.
Have offered 'reasonable' costs, otherwise am ignoring.
Wednesday 10 August 2005 2.04pm
In that case tempt fate - tell them the managing agent will die, bet you would miss the kitten more than the agent !

Wednesday 10 August 2005 4.34pm
Are you charged the same for all animals, or less for a cat, more for a dog, and practically nothing for a goldfish? Does size of animal come into it? And what happens if your guppies breed. Is it per creature or is there a discount for multiple occupancy.

If it is the same rate for any animal, surely it makes better financial sense to have a large dog, or even a tiger, rather than just a kitten.
Wednesday 10 August 2005 5.16pm
Its a flat rate for 'administration'.....I really wish I had plumped for that tiger now....
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: