Southwark Council major works charges

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
ColinW1 Thursday 12 February 2009 7.20am
Hi All. We have been given details of proposed major works to cost 18,000 + for my flat. Does anyone know of any good legal companies that challenge the councils in these matters. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks Colin
Pen Wednesday 25 February 2009 5.57pm
I could do with some help with regard to Southwark Council major works charges. We own a flat in St Lawrence House that is part of St Saviours Estate. When we purchased the flat we were told of impending external repairs to St Lawrence House.We were made aware that we would have to pay towards these costs. We weren't concerned about this as St Lawrence House is in pretty good nick and the windows and entrance key doors had already been installed. Now we are being told that we are liable for repairs on the whole of the Estate. And the repairs have gone from being minor to major repairs that are both internal and external. Does anyone have any experience in fighting for only paying the costs on your building and not the whole estate?
john Ames Wednesday 25 February 2009 7.02pm
PEN
you need to look at your lease or get someone to look at it for you.
the lease will say if you have to pay for any estate works or not and what proportion if any. i have experience of fighting a local authority but i can't discuss the case. only give general guidelines
www.ltb.viviti.com

Colin WI
do a google search for a firm specializing in this field, and i would say do not use the trainees that will be allocated to you if you use LEASE

there are horror stories of them being out of their depth. and in my opinion
there is somewhat of a conflict of interests because the government is both driving the programme of works that are costing leaseholders way over the open market rates, and also funding and running the official advisory service for leaseholders.
Pen Tuesday 31 March 2009 3.45pm
Thank you for your help John. The council have agreed now that we only have to pay for works to our building - phew!
jpm Sunday 5 April 2009 11.01am
Sadly 20-25k seems to be the going rate for what you'll have to pay if you're having major works on your estate.

Pen's story is important - it's worth challenging the council if you're not sure what they're planning. Ask for details when you get your section 20 letters - make sure you're just paying for your block.

@gemlonsdale (yes i know it's old but...) If your solicitor didn't tell you there were major works planned that was either because.
a)- they didn't find out properly - if it was their fault sue them
b)- the council hadn't decided at the time. I understand that there might be scope for getting your bills reduced if you bought your home just before they announced the works. Seek some advice
Pen Wednesday 8 April 2009 11.36am
If the major works weren't enough to put people off living in an ex-council flat then Southwark council's film department will. We have just been told that they have given permission to an ITV film crew to shoot in our building from 11am till 10pm on Easter Monday! We have no say - there goes my relaxing Monday off.
tali Wednesday 30 December 2009 2.52pm
Dear Pen

I am facing the same problem as you describe above. The council wants me to pay for major works to other blocks. My block is in pretty good nick - the others aren't!

Please can you advise how you addressed your concerns to the Council in order to achieve your successful outcome.

Many thanks

Tali
rosiet Thursday 14 January 2010 9.51pm
we have a bill for 18,000 but already have windows that match the ones going in......does anyone have an experience of having appealed a portion of the bill?
Pen Sunday 17 January 2010 12.28am
Hi Rosiet

We are living in St Saviours Estate and are facing the same problem.
I would recommend contacting Andrew Parker who is the Council Leaseholders Advice Project Co-ordinator for Southwark. His email address is: leasehold@southwarkcabservice.org.uk.

He can give you advice on the above matter. You can also take it to the LVT. Please note that the form can also be downloaded from www.rpts.gov.uk. It is worth looking at this website as it also has guidance notes about service charges (& other) disputes brought to LVT. As well as applications, it covers the processes that can follow including the hearing.

If you are living in St Saviours Estate then let me know and you can join our group. We are about to take our Major Works Charge to the LVT. Pen
chet7patel Monday 19 November 2012 2.38pm
Hi Pen,

I am also a leaseholder on the St Saviours Estate (St Vincent House). Just received a 15k major works bill.

I would be very much interested in appealing this. I have owned the flat for 12 years and during the 12 years, my major works bill htotalled to more than 25k

Pen wrote:
Hi Rosiet
We are living in St Saviours Estate and are facing the same problem.
I would recommend contacting Andrew Parker who is the Council Leaseholders Advice Project Co-ordinator for Southwark. His email address is: leasehold@southwarkcabservice.org.uk.

He can give you advice on the above matter. You can also take it to the LVT. Please note that the form can also be downloaded from www.rpts.gov.uk. It is worth looking at this website as it also has guidance notes about service charges (& other) disputes brought to LVT. As well as applications, it covers the processes that can follow including the hearing.

If you are living in St Saviours Estate then let me know and you can join our group. We are about to take our Major Works Charge to the LVT. Pen
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions