The Circle, Queen Elizabeth Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 13 February 2006 9.39pm
Hi

We're planning to buy a one or two bed flat in Shad Thames and have looked at a couple of flats in The Circle. Can anyone tell us anything about living there? The flats seem nice and the building seems well maintained, but are there any downsides?

I know the freeholder has gone into receivership, but don't expect that will impact a sale by a current leaseholder. I've heard the leaseholders are trying to buy the freehold - is there a consensus for that? Or divisions?

Grateful for your thoughts
J
Tuesday 14 February 2006 8.50am
I have a couple of friends who own apartments there and they are happy with them.

It would be a good idea to buy the freehold, to avoid problems over management, which will be significant in a development as high quality as that.

Regards,

Loafer
Tuesday 14 February 2006 3.21pm
Some nice apartments.

Be careful if you are close to the Circle Late Night Shop. Open 'til, um, late, but also has deliveries early (noisy vans parked up) and also an electronic 'beep' on the door every it is opened, which you may find rather annoying if in earshot.
Thursday 16 February 2006 6.06pm
I can highly recommend The Circle; it's a great building.

I lived there, both renting and subsequently owning, for about four years and didn't have any real problems, and I still keep an apartment there now that I rent out. The porters are very friendly and will help you out as much as they can, and as the building is well built, it doesn't suffer from the problems that plague some of the other developments in the area (badly/cheaply finished apartments or noise from neighbours).

If you can get one that hasn't been refurbished (ie it still has the original cream and green colour scheme with grey kitchen) you should get a much better price. It's important to check when the water heater was last serviced as they have a tendency to explode and put the entire apartment under three inches of water.

Many of the apartments have been rented out for a long time as the development company went bust whilst the building was being built and the freeholder bailed the project out and, in return, took approximately a third of the apartments in the building. Over the years he has been slowly releasing them onto the market, and don't think that he has many left.

Regards

Craig
Sunday 7 November 2010 9.03pm
Hi,
Let's resurrect this 4-year old post.....
We are also thinking of buying a flat in the Circle.
Does anyone have any more recent news on:
- The situation with the freeholder and the management of the building.
- Any plans to refurbish the building?
- Anything else we should know about?
Thanks.
Friday 26 November 2010 8.57pm
Hi, did you get any other response to your query about The Circle. I'm looking at three flats for sale there tomorrow and I've seen at least another one on the market. Guess it is high turnover of occupants there.
Saturday 27 November 2010 5.46pm
No, nothing.
Well there are 300+ flats there, so I'd expect a few sales.....

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: