Appealing against Council Tax banding

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 30 June 2003 11.05am
Hi,

I've recently moved to a 2 bed ex-local authority flat on Druid Street (St Olaves Estate). I am trying to appeal against the banding (its been put in band C), and am wondering if anyone else on the forum has appealed, successfully or otherwise, against their Council Tax band placement. I'd especially like to know where I could get details of similar sales in 1991 to use as evidence in my case.

Thanks
Monday 30 June 2003 12.36pm

Have you checked the Valuation Office website, to see what the overall position on the estate is? A lot of estates had varying valuations, with one bed ground floor flats in band A, reflecting their "unsaleability" back then due to security concerns, but with larger flats on the higher floors quite often in band C.

Every council tax valuation on the country is on the site. Go to
http://www.voa.gov.uk/council_tax/cti_home.htm and select Southwark as the "billing authority", then give your address details (street name first if it's estate blocks)

If there hasn't been a history of successful appeals on the estate much closer to the original valuation, I doubt if you'll get anywhere.
Monday 20 October 2003 2.21pm
Got a letter back from the Valuation Office on Saturday.... and they agreed that the flat was in the wrong catergory and have reduced my band from C to B!

Anyone who lives in a similar flat to mine, has moved in within the last 6 months (the time limit for which you can make an appeal) and are in band C then its definately worth appealing.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: