Looking for a flat

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 19 July 2007 10.23am
I'm posting this on behalf of my brother. He and his friend are currently flathunting in various parts of south London and I wondered if any of you might know of (or be trying to let) something suitable.

They are looking for a 2 bed flat with a parking space, within striking distance of Central London. Top end of their budget is 1100pcm. I have already broken it to my brother that there is not much chance of finding anything decent within their budget in SE1 but I thought they should stand a reasonable chance in the surrounding areas around Bermondsey/Walworth etc.

Any tip offs would be appreciated and if any of you come up with anything I'll direct my brother to this thread.

Cheers
Thursday 19 July 2007 2.10pm
I'd be surprised if you find much available at that price unless it's rooms in a bigger house.

1,100 won't cover mortgage payments for much in SE1.
Thursday 19 July 2007 2.51pm
The ability to cover mortgage payments is really only a major issue for landlords whose buy-to-lets have been bought at recent prices ;-)

I suggested various areas they could try which are as conveniently located as SE1. They've seen a newly refurbished ex local authority place in Vauxhall this afternoon which sounds like good value and just what they are looking for - 270 a week and the letting agent thinks there is probably a deal to be done. They're viewing a couple more places later today.
Thursday 19 July 2007 4.47pm
Ruth,

Just search findaproperty.com or primelocation.com and put the max budget at 1100 pcm. I tried this on findaproperty and it brought up a couple of good matches in Bermondsey (SE1) which had 2 bedrooms and off-street parking.

Chris
Friday 20 July 2007 9.57am
Yeah, umm SE16 towards South Bermondsey station still has 2-beds at under 1k/month. We only pay 1235 and we have 2 bathrooms, a huge living room and a nice (albeit open plan) kitchen.

Rosetti Road springs to mind.
Friday 20 July 2007 2.57pm
Avonley Village (estate agent speak for new cross gate) has purpose built 2 beds walking distance from tube (zone 2) and main line trains and buses to central london

still a bargain but prices moving fast now east london extension is about to start and overflow from SE1 Greenwich and Canada Water is having an effect.
Monday 23 July 2007 5.45pm
Thanks everybody, I've passed this thread on to my brother.

The Vauxhall place didn't work out as his flatmate decided he couldn't commit to moving for another month or so.
Tuesday 24 July 2007 12.07pm
newcrossgate wrote:
Avonley Village (estate agent speak for new cross gate) has purpose built 2 beds walking distance from tube (zone 2) and main line trains and buses to central london
still a bargain but prices moving fast now east london extension is about to start and overflow from SE1 Greenwich and Canada Water is having an effect.

Am I being naive in expecting rental prices in New Cross to get cheaper then, given that the East London Line is about to close for three years...
Monday 6 August 2007 3.10pm
Update on this: my brother and friend have now put a deposit on an ex-LA flat on Frazier Street (off Lower Marsh), within budget.

Thanks all!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: