How can you afford to live in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 7 August 2007 6.04am
Hello there. I'm new to the site. I'm in the RAF at the moment and hopefully moving down to work at the MOD soon. Any tips on what the rent for 2/3 bedroom flats are in the area would be great. Think they will be way over my budget but you never know..
How can people afford to live here? Are the job wages taht much greater in London than rest of the UK?
Slainte
Paddy
Tuesday 7 August 2007 11.39am
People do struggle to afford to live here. I think you can expect to pay 1300/month and upwards for a newish 2-bed near to the tube. There's a mix of places around here, though, and I expect there's a real range of rents that you can pay.

Try the property websites (findaproperty is one, I think) where you can search by postcode. They will give you a good idea of market rents. If you get a decent map of London (Stamfords in Long Acre, Covent Garden, will be able to sell you one with the the A-Z of the whole of inner London on one A1 piece of paper, showing all the postcodes) then that will also help you with seeing where the train lines and tube lines go, and you'll be able to see that parts of SE1 are more expensive than others.

Good luck

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 7 August 2007 12.55pm
The nearer you are to the tube, the more expensive it tends to get. There are some ex-council available for rent but again, not all equally nice. You may also want to consider SE16 (Bermondsey/Rotehrhite) or SE11 (Lambeth) as an alternative. Findaproperty.com also allows you to put a minimum and maximum amount you are willing to pay.
ADT
Tuesday 7 August 2007 1.39pm
Also try primelocation.com

Wages - I sure that last year I saw figures of 28k for UK average salary, 40k for London and 70k in the City. Proximity to the City is one thing that makes some SE1 areas very expensive.
Tuesday 7 August 2007 3.28pm
try se17 - Walworth.
Tuesday 7 August 2007 4.46pm
And don't forget, average salary in Canary Wharf is 100k....
Wednesday 8 August 2007 6.15am
Thanks all for your help everyone. Being in the Air Force I am on a fixed salary of about 32k plus what ever the going rate in london would be for my wife who works in conveyancing in legal firms. So no idea what the wages are for her yet. After reading in the paper about a large percentage of homeless people being
Ex Armed Forces, I can see from the rent prices I could well be joining them!! I take it that child care is greater in the area too? No need to be near a tube really as I intend to cycle to work. Or is that unwise with amount of traffic etc?
Wednesday 8 August 2007 6.20am
Carmenes82... If you know of any jobs going for 100 k let me know ... I would go AWOL for that amount....Lol
Just at the end of a 4 month tour in the hot and sandy place that is always on the news.. I will be glad to get back to some rain.. I haven't seen any in the four months!!
Zoe
Wednesday 8 August 2007 12.29pm
Don't worry, we have lots of rain waiting for you!

Perhaps you should contact Tower Homes to find out about shared ownership.

If you can get a mortgage, there are some cheap ex LA properties down the Old Kent Road. It's not wonderful solution, but it'll get you on the housing ladder.
Wednesday 8 August 2007 1.49pm
Hi Zoe,
Thanks for the reply. I already am on the housing market but that is up in Lincoln. And have about 250 k as a deposit if i needed to use that. But that is not what I am looking at for the moment.As fingers crossed a job beckons in Las Vegas in 4 years time..
I am just looking for rentals at the moment.

Thanks again for the reply.

Paddy
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: