Looking for a 2-bed flat in SE1 / SE16

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 25 September 2007 7.02am
Hi -

We are an established, professional, married couple looking for a new flat in SE1 or SE16. I'm looking for recommendations - please PM me if you know of anything. No agents please.

We're looking for a 2-bed, as close to the river as possible. We need a bright, airy space and the flat should have all mod cons. Proximity to tube is important.

Parking a bonus, but not required. A garden, or green space nearby is preferred.

We're looking for an initial period of a year, in the range of 1,350 pcm / 315 pw (neg).

Cheers,
~ Bluefish
Tuesday 25 September 2007 7.06am
This site is not, as far as I know, an estate agency.
Tuesday 25 September 2007 7.33am
Jackie - whilst you may wish to comment on the proliferation of property-related threads over in the Feedback section, I can't see that bluefish's message differs much in substance from dozens of others.

This type of unecessary response does little to encourage new or less frequent posters to participate.

You will note that bluefish has 23 posts to his name, so is not a 'drive-by' poster who has signed up to ask a property question and will never be seen again.

(Though his message does read too much like an advert for my taste, rather than a request for advice/info/suggestions which might open up a discussion - which is what the forum is for.)

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 25 September 2007 9.56am
Well, James, when I, some months ago, wanted to know if someone wanted a flat in the Aylesbury Estate, you rapped me over the knuckles and said that you didnt want that sort of thing. So...sorry but unless there's been a change of policy I have understood that flat seekers and renters were not to use this site for the purpose. If things have changed, I wasnt aware of it.
Tuesday 25 September 2007 10.10am
Fair point, Jackie. I tend to take a hard line with people starting threads offering their own property for sale or to let (we've always said 'no advertising') - but have generally allowed threads from people LOOKING for accommodation - especially if the message is couched in such a way that it invites general advice on agents or where to look etc.

Is that policy inconsistent or unclear? Maybe. Which is why I'd warmly welcome people's views on how we should handle property issues on the forum.

Granted, bluefish's post is very specific and doesn't invite that sort of wider discussion that's likely to be of relevance to more people than just the question-asker.

But if you consider that a message is inappropriate or breaks the forum rules, please use the Report this message button to flag it up for attention rather than posting sarcastic or unfriendly remarks.

Thanks.

Tuesday 25 September 2007 11.13am
Quote:
No agents please.

I struggle to see why there should be any difference between:

Here is my flat to let, please contact me so I can avoid paying agent's fees; and

This is the sort of flat I want to rent, please contact me so that you can avoid paying agent's fees so I will get a better deal.

In both cases this site is acting as agent, but for free. Economic benefit is being provided to both parties, but it is very unclear to me that this site benefits in exchange. It is quite different to 'please can you recommend me a plumber'-type posts.

Personally I am becoming rather bored with the number of very similar threads. Now, if the editorial decision is to encourage advertising within the forums as a way of driving traffic to this site, well as a non-paying punter who am I to complain.

On the other hand, perhaps it is time for a separate 'trading' forum - maybe a property-specific one. Or else a suggestion that people should try Gumtree.
Tuesday 25 September 2007 11.17am
Thanks, Mapmaker. Some good points.

Can we continue the discussion over in Feedback where related points have already been made:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/3/75141

This thread has been closed

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: