Moving to SE1 - Estate Agent Recommendations Extremely Welcome!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 21 January 2008 4.50pm
Hello, all -

After living in Waterloo for two years, and Greenwich for another two, I have decided to gravitate towards the wonderful SE1 and make the area my new home.

I was wondering if anyone had any useful tips regarding flat hunting? Are there any truly awful agents I should steer clear of? Any consistently reliable ones? Any tips for finding a private landlord?

Thanks very much!

A very grateful Jess
Monday 21 January 2008 4.55pm
-- moved topic --
Monday 21 January 2008 6.02pm
For a private landlord, you should look at Loot (online or paper) and, as both have listings for whole properties for rent or sale, not just flatshare.
Monday 21 January 2008 6.08pm
Hi Jess,

I used Acorn to find my house, and they were very good, but peoples' opinions of estate agents probably aren't going to be that useful to you as it will depend on the person they spoke to (who may or may not be representative of all the people at the agency).

My advice, for what it's worth, is to search findaproperty and primelocation daily and, on primelocation, setup email alerts with your search criteria. I would also spend time going door-to-door and registering in person with all the agents. The market is (apparently) slowing so agents should be all over you and want to get you viewing properties.

Out of interest, which area are you interested in? Some posters may have local tips? There are some fine new devs near me in Bermondsey.

Monday 21 January 2008 7.42pm
Hi Jess
I've sent you a private message
Tuesday 22 January 2008 10.12am
Thanks very much indeed, everyone. Chris - I think I shall start the estate agent trawl this weekend! Areas I was thinking of are either Shad Thames or south of Borough.

From this forum I'm beginning to think that moving to SE1 was a good plan - you all seem to love it there!

Wednesday 23 January 2008 7.56pm
It can be hard to find places to rent round here. I found that no estate agent had more than one suitable place on the books (1-bed, not scummy, SE1), and by the time you show up for something you found on the internet it's gone.
I (and other people I know) just did a day or two of the agents on BHS and picked one of the bunch they saw and were available that day.
If you're more patient and have time to kill, there are other options...
Thursday 24 January 2008 12.08pm
I live in Boss House and from time-to-time flats that are available for rent/purchase are displayed on our notice board - this internal advertising by-passes agents and they are always snapped up!

Just a thought, but it may be worthwhile ringing the porter (front desk) of a flat complex to see if anything is on the notice board.
Thursday 24 January 2008 1.55pm
Good Estate Agent is an oxymoron. Are you looking to rent or buy?
Thursday 24 January 2008 3.13pm
Boss St Bloke - I will do! Even if I have to pester every porter in the area And do let me know if you see anything interesting :)

Jackie - I'm looking to rent, at least for the time being.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: