Any Advice on Self Storage &/or Renting out a flat for 6 to 12 months?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 17 March 2008 2.00pm
I have an opportunity to move abroad for 6 to 12 months.
I have a 3 bed flat which I can rent out, but I would need to store my belongings.
Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) of similar situations?
The whole proposition is quite overwhelming. It could take 6 months to sort all the various aspects out.
I'm especially interested in property portals to advertise the flat or good agents to use, and price comparisons for self storage providers.

Oh, and if anyone wants to buy a P reg BMW!!......
Monday 17 March 2008 3.12pm
I have looked into the possibilities of self storage and found it extremely expensive. Should you decide to do so, then look for self storage as far away from London or South East England as you can. The cost of transportation to Scotland, for instance,is wel worth the price difference.
Monday 17 March 2008 7.34pm
Thanks Maurits.
These storage places seem good solutions for a couple of weeks if you're moving home, and need to live out a suitcase for a short time.
I have to admit that half of the attractiveness of going abroad is the rental income that you can get. It seemed insane, but when you realise what storage space costs, it makes more sense.
The crazy thing is I reckon I can get a container, put my stuff in it, and ship my stuff to Brazil, and back again, for less than the cost of storing it in the UK. What's more mindboggling is I haven't got much stuff, as I'm planning on leaving my flat furnished, so it's just clothes/books/consumer goods.
Monday 17 March 2008 7.42pm
Hi AD,

Do you think you'll be back after 12 months? If you will be then I think you should try to get a group of students sharing to rent your flat.

If you think you won't be back, then Southwark Council have a rental service where they can help you find tenants, or get a company or a HA to manage the property for you.
Monday 17 March 2008 7.58pm
>>The crazy thing is I reckon I can get a container, put my stuff in it, and ship my stuff to Brazil, and back again, for less than the cost of storing it in the UK.

Probably. About 1,000 each way. 120 a week for 200 square feet of Access Self Storage.
Monday 17 March 2008 8.07pm
We paid 2800 to move the contents of our 2 bedroom flat to Cape Town. That included packing in London and unpacking in Cape Town and 5 months storage in South Africa. So your shipment should be considerably less, given that we had a lot of stuff.
Monday 17 March 2008 11.35pm
I have an attic which might suffice if you're interested? If so, send me a private message.
Tuesday 18 March 2008 9.29am
Thanks for your comments. Vicd I won't contact you at this moment, but thanks for posting, you might have a lucrative asset in your roof!

A neighbour has just emailed me, and told me about a friend of theirs, who parted from her husband and stored her entire contents in storage. When she went to retrieve everything she discovered that they'd sold it because she'd missed a month's payment. No written warning, nothing!!
I'm not sure if there are more details than this, but it is a cautionary tale, and puts me off any budget options.

The shipping option looks the more likely. Shipping might be the new storage - you just pack a container, and send it off on a 12 month voyage (avoiding boats named Napoli), destined for it's port of departure.

My initial thoughts of just dipping my toe into life abroad, without the hassle of moving hook line and sinker, seem unrealistic. I guess you just have to go for it, or pay a steep price for a little perceived security.
Tuesday 18 March 2008 11.31am
The Mapmaker wrote:

Yes...I did say I thought there might be more details (like a spiteful ex). It wasn't a friend of mine but a friend of a neighbour.

I thought the story relevent, as it would help to explain why security is such a selling point in the storage market, when surely a decent lock shouldn't be that big a deal? From my viewpoint price is the factor that will decide if I store or not. I do understand their business model by the way. Perhaps I'm a cynic who doesn't appreciate the difficulties involved in storing boxes.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: