Section 20 notice

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 26 May 2008 3.40pm
I would be gratefull for some feedback on this. In 2003 I received a section 20 notice re major works for both internal/external works. The cost to me approx 14,800 after work commenced I was notified that the internal communal work would not be part of this section 20 as the work being carried out would go over budget. A second section 20 notice was then issued re internal works for 3,500
I have finally received a bill 2 days ago for both section 20s which is almost 28,000.
Can they go over budget so much? Can I appeal?
Any advice would be gratefully recieved.
Thursday 29 May 2008 9.35pm
Scooter, as a leaseholder on the Haddonhall Est, lovely Southwark council tell me that i can expect to cough up 26K, yes 26,000 for repairs. I knew when i took the lease that I would be liable for external repairs but this is ridiculous. I contacted the Leathermarket tenant management organisation and tell me that yes, i will have to cough up.

Who can pay such a bill? I may have to sell. Surely this is just exploiting us leaseholders.
Wednesday 4 February 2009 2.22am
Hi All. I have received a proposal for 18,000 worth of largely unnecessary work involving Oliver, Pickwick and Weller House on George Road boarder of SE1 and SE16. I intend to fight all the detail as I know in some parts of SE16 (Amina Way and Lucy Way) Southwark council has been defeated when they have had so many complaints about the ridiculous cost they are imposing. Does anyone have any specific information on how to tackle the council in these matters. Any information gratefully appreciated.
Wednesday 4 February 2009 9.16am
You should have been advised of future Major Works proposals when you bough your lease from the Council for the forthcoming few years....if these works were not mentioned or were vastly underestimated you may have a good case not to pay. If you bought many years ago then you will be liable as these works will be seen as general upkeep and part of your responsibility to maintain the building. You may still have a case against SC if the amounts being charged are overly expensive, have not been put out to tender properly, are not necessary, or are biased in their levy towards the properties that have sold rather than retained. It will be hard work to sort out what's what and no doubt SC will be as obscure as possible but it could be well worth the effort.
Wednesday 4 February 2009 10.13am
Check out the Leasehold Advisory Service ( They are a free government-funded service.

They can, understandably, take 2-3 weeks to respond to an emailed query but you can telephone also, or visit in person.

They've been a help to me recently...
Wednesday 4 February 2009 12.14pm
May be worth contacting the
Leaseholder Association of Southwark
PO Box 23394
SE16 2WA
Thursday 5 February 2009 10.19am
Thanks for all the comments in particular the Leasehold Advisory Service ( I found out yesterday that the current Mayor of Bermondsey (Eliza Mann) lives at one of the properties in the blocks in my section affected by these excessive Major works / Section 20. There is a meeting next week with some of the major works team to look at these figures with leaseholders and the mayor. In the interim I have put a number of questions to Southwark. The impresssion I get is you have to fight these excessive charges. I will keep you posted.
Wednesday 13 May 2009 10.32am
@scooter and colinw1 - have you guys got an update on your situations? I am curious because I am going through setion 20 currently on my estate and bracing myself for a monster bill.
Wednesday 13 May 2009 11.10am
Hi Trizzy. We looked at a few options to challenge the section 20 via the LVT (Leaseholder Valuation Tribunal) Despite a bill of 18k we where advised that the costs seemed reasonable by two independent surveyors, which surprised me. Though it's fair to say these were not in-depth surveys. We are in the process now of engaging assetman ( to monitor the work that goes on (due to start in September 09). If the quality / quantity of work is not up to scratch we will then take this to the LVT, by this point we will have a clearer idea. In the end this was the most cost effective approach. Although whether we will get these horrendous bills reduced is not clear. Would be interested in anyone else's experience, as I do believe the council are useless in handling these huge pieces of work.
Wednesday 13 May 2009 2.34pm
Thanks for the useful info Colin. I can't believe that anyone would think that 18K is reasonable! I am now dreading our bill when it comes.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: