MyBase1 - Webber Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 22 June 2008 7.31pm
Hello, I'm new to the site. I currently live in Fulham but want to move more central. I'm seriously considering moving to the new Mybase1 property located at the junction of Webber Street / Great Suffolk Street and Southwark Bridge Road. The finish-out and size of these flats seems really nice for the money (perhaps I'm wowed by the newness). Has anyone heard any bad things or good things about this development? Quality of build? How's the area? It seems to be a little off the beaten path (not a lot right around there) and that becomes more apparent on a dreary day. Is it safe at night? The flat I'm considering itself is great but I'm not so sure about the area. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
jw
Sunday 22 June 2008 10.39pm
Hi,

I live in the block next door and I have to say I love the area. It may seem a little rough round the edges, but I haven't had any trouble and there are great areas within walking distance - borough/london bridge and most of all the river is at the end of the street.

There is HUGE amounts of development going on in the area so over the next few years it will change a lot.

If you don't mind me asking, could you private message me with some details of the agent and how much the asking price is, size of flat etc..? I was interested in purchasing a second flat in that block and I know field and sons are marketing some, but was interested who else is.

Thanks
KM
Monday 23 June 2008 1.58pm
I moved out of Webber Street last October after living there for 25 years. There is loads to do in the area - National Theatre, SouthBank complex, Young and Old Vic etc. I decided to go, however as the area seemed to me to be going down hill: getting v. noisy and lots of hoodie groups hanging around, too many 'street drinkers' for my comfort and generally getting more and more run down.

Good luck if you decide to go for the flat.
Monday 23 June 2008 2.03pm
In my view, this is an excellent area to buy in. A great central location with lots of exciting developments over the coming months and years.

It's a shame that KM had bad experiences, and there are obviously some undesirables in any area, but my experiences are largely positive.

Good luck.

Chris
Monday 23 June 2008 2.11pm
Webber Street is a long street passing through lots of different areas... it does have the estate halfway along, and also a soup kitchen seems to operate next to the Old Vic, but they are both 5 mins' walk away from MyBase1.

I'd bet that 90% of developments in London must be within 5 mins' walk of some social rented housing.

Close to the development there is a good chippy (Ollys), deli/cafe (El Vergel), greengrocers, wine store and other decent independent shops, and it is quiet but central.

It is on the site of a large former funeral parlour but the ghosts have probably vanished by now ;-)
Monday 23 June 2008 2.23pm
Colinio wrote:
I'd bet that 90% of developments in London must be within 5 mins' walk of some social rented housing.
-)

Oh, I'm trying very hard not to make assumptions about what you could possibly mean by that remark...

After all, it really wouldn't do for me to think you were casting aspersions on all those "poor people" among us who have to live in 'Social rented housing' (I think you may mean council flats) thereby possibly blighting the streets for the more worthy and wealthy population?
Monday 23 June 2008 3.29pm
In my view this is a rip off. 435k for a tiny 2 bedroom/1 recept flat on a 5-way junction, on the site of a funeral home, with your immediate neighbours being the taxi repair garage, the fire station, the railway line,etc.

Take a walk down Weber St towards the Old Vic and see what the last lot of architect-designed-luxury-modern shoeboxes look like after a few years.

Having said which, it's probably only a similar rip off to all the other shoddy shoeboxes that have sprung up around there over the last few years.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 23 June 2008 3.46pm
come, come, Ivanhoe! Stop sitting on the fence and tell us what you really think...;0))
Monday 23 June 2008 3.54pm
techguyuk -

Have you thought about Bermondsey?

Bermondsey Square has some cracking flats in a similar price range...

Chris
KM
Monday 30 June 2008 10.53am
Sorry I fell out of love with it too Carmenes but times change! Went to the theatre on Saturday and decided not to battle with Westminster parking and left car near my old flat - when I got back the tyre valve caps had been nicked - 'nuff said! Suppose I should be grateful the rest of it was still there.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: