Best estate agents?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 18 August 2008 4.06am
Hi SE1ers. Reopening an old topic here, but does anyone have a view on who is the most reliable/best/least devious estate agent in the area lately? I'm letting my Falcon Point flat and don't want to deal with some of the sharks who circle these waters.
Tuesday 2 September 2008 10.05pm

I rented out my flat in Eastwell House for 2 years (2006-8) via City Docklands and have to say i found them professional, corteous and effecient in their service. They seemed to bring tenant's queries/concerns to me in a prompt manner and gave me a full breakdown of any repairs etc. When I moved back in i found the work that had been done (some repainting etc) to be of a good standard.

Before choosing City Docklands I interviewed about 8 local agents some of whom treated my like I was dirt during the interview (Maxim in particular)! They couldn't believe I was questionning their service and many told me I would only be able to get students. I had chosed Leonard Leese as the best of a bad bunch but then went to City as LL didn't seem to be getting many viewings through. City had about 10 viewings in the first day alone even before I signed an agreement with them and made sure I had no vacancies throughout. They sourced professionals for me as tenants and refused happily to show students around the flat which was great.

I got advice from the National Landlord's Association on what types of questions to ask an agent (unfortunately most agents take their fee over a 3 month period and many try to take it out of the first month where as the NLA recommend monthly fee).

I'm planning on renting out again in the new year and plan to go back to City.

Good luck with who-ever you choose.
Wednesday 3 September 2008 11.00am
I found Acorn to be professional and efficient when I dealt with them a few years ago during a house purchase...

Note, however, that the turnover of staff in local estate agents is very high so you should gauge whether to instruct them based on the individual who will be handling your transaction.
Thursday 4 September 2008 10.45am
I found Duncan Allen to be very professional indeed when they sold my house. As a smaller firm you don't get lost as just one in a huge number of clients (unlike my experience with one of the bigger firms whom I rapidly sacked for deceitful activity and sloth). As the same team does lettings as well as sales, I can vouch for their lettings service too!
Wednesday 22 January 2014 12.20pm
Hi! You can contact to sell your house. You might feel I'm doing self-advertisement but honestly I think you will be served very cordially. You can give it a check. :)

Tuesday 4 March 2014 6.40pm
Following up on this thread, I have a nice 2 bed in Shad Thames which I listed via an online estate agent at the end of Jan (move in date 1st of April) at what I believe to be a much better price than if I went to an agent. The ad has been fed through to all the portals. I co-own this flat with my parents, who rely on the income so the more we can save the better.

I have not really had any inquiries, so to all the renters in Shad Thames or SE1:

1. would you be reluctant to deal with a landlord directly via an online estate agent, even though rent is lower, and admin fees are lower? If this is the case, which agents would you trust when renting a property in this area?

2. Also I've had a fair number of viewings casually through a couple of agents, while the feedback has been very positive, there has been no offers yet, so how long before your move out date do you start making committed offers? Is one month before still too early to put in an offer/would you still keep looking?

I've never had experience renting myself and I really want to avoid void periods for the sake of my parents, so any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks
Saturday 8 March 2014 11.35am
Hi. I'm currently looking to move out of the flat I've lived in for years because of some really shoddy behaviour from the estate agents who "manage" it. If the owner had any idea just how much serious damage they have allowed to pile up here by refusing to lift a finger while charging him what must be staggering fees every month I'm sure he'd be livid. So to answer your questions...

1. I hope to never rent through an estate agent again. I'm not sure what an online estate agent is but they can't have a worse reputation than regular estate agents.

2. I'm already looking although my move date would be about 6 weeks away. I've only responded to a couple of ads that looked like a place I'd really like to live and told them, I know you probably want someone in sooner than this but please contact me if it gets closer and you haven't found anybody. If any of them were to say oh go on, I'm happy with that move-in date, I'd be happy to agree right then with a contract to sign. If you are asking people to give a deposit a month out and then first rent on move-in I'd think most people would be happy to do that. If you are asking for the deposit and the first month's rent a month out that might put people off. Anyone moving has to not only be thinking about the deposit/first rent at the new place but probably excessive move-out costs from the old place as well. Example: over 100 to pay someone to walk around and tick a box whether you've nicked the sofa or not.

Also if you want to show me your ad I'll be happy to give you a renter's perspective -- I doubt a two bed in Shad Thames is in my price range so I will be objective. :)
Saturday 15 March 2014 10.25am

Thanks very much for your detailed reply.

Here is the flat

But honestly I'd rent it privately for 500 per week.

If anyone has any tips on how to present it or sell it or has interest in it, I would be happy to hear from you!

Monday 17 March 2014 5.12pm
Hi. Well, it's a very nice flat and seems to be priced similarly to other 2 bed flats in the area. If I were looking for a place like that, the things that I would be missing in the ad are pictures of the second bedroom and the en-suite bathroom. I'd also want to know some details about the kitchen, if the washing machine also had a drier, if there was a dishwasher, if there's a fridge/freezer or just a small fridge. I'd want to see a picture that showed how much of a balcony there is, as it's hard to tell if it's one you can stand on or a Juliette. It is really great that you have a floorplan as most rental ads don't have them and it's really annoying. I think a lot of people want to know which floor it's on and if it's the top floor, definitely mention that. I think that whole building is a warehouse conversion but the ad doesn't mention it. It also doesn't mention if there's a lift or parking available. There's also a typo in "Beautiffully" -- obviously not going to drive away renters unless they're nutters but hey my flat ad analysis service is very detailed.

Have you thought about listing it privately on spareroom or findaflat or moveflat or even gumtree? Since most people use estate agents it seems like the valid private only ads get a lot of action from the renters who are determined not to deal with estate agents anymore. I answered an ad on the first day it was posted on gumtree and am now waiting for the landlords to finish interviewing all the people who responded before they make a decision, so they must have had several in the first day or two. I'd also watch zoopla or rightmove and plug in Shad Thames, 2 bed and your price range and see how long other similar properties are staying on there. Maybe it's not your property or your ad but just a bad time for luxury properties vs. say ex-council flats as far as demand goes.

Hope that helps!
Wednesday 19 March 2014 10.28am

We're an agent around the corner from you - don't worry not a sales pitch. You are REALLY lacking photos on this property. Given your proximity to the river, I would take a photo pointing towards Tower Bridge from the bridge at the end of St Saviour's Dock, maybe take a photo of the horse in the circle as well, and definitely one down Shad Thames with the bridges between buildings in it.

Other than that - really you need to have some pictures of the interior, wide angle camera lens is preferable.

I think the entrance to butcol is lovely as well, worth adding a photo of that. Gives a grandiose feel to the place as well as security.

And get a photo of the fountain feaature when the fountain is turned on!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: