House wanted

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 10 September 2008 9.57am
Morning all,

I'm looking for a 3 bed house to buy in SE1, preferably around the Thorburn Square conservation area (Alma Grove, Reverdy Road, Fort Road etc).

Yes, believe it or not there are actually buyers out there able to secure financing and want to buy in this crazy market....and I'm one of them!

So if you were thinking about selling your house or know someone that was but got scared off by market conditions, please do get in touch. We're not in a chain, want to move quickly and can get a mortgage.

Cheers, J

PS. And if any of this is sounding vaguely familiar, yes it was me posting leaflets with the same plea under your door the other night...sorry in advance if it pissed you off!
Thursday 11 September 2008 9.04am
Hi. We live in Alma Grove and had one of your leaflets. We're not looking to sell I'm afraid, but it hasn't annoyed us at all. We actually thought that this was a great idea, as you could eliminate the neeed to have to use an estate agent, which has to be a good thing. I will keep an ear out for anyone planning to sell in our road.

Did you see the house/ houses on Lynton Road for sale at aution next week? - http://www.a-r.co.uk/Buying.aspx

It's a MAJOR rennovation project, so you'd have to be brave and have lots of finance (you couldn't buy this lot with a normal mortgage). The houses haven;t been lived in for years, and they are in a really bad shape.

Good luck, andlet me know if you need to know anything about the area.

I guess you've seen the house for sale on Alma Grove with Foxtons - it's at a silly price though, nobody is going to pay that in this market.
Thursday 11 September 2008 9.59am
Hi there. Oh good so glad we didn't annoy anyone! The market is so flat now, we're trying to think of anyway to find a house...

We did actually look at the overly ambitious priced house on your street and put in a reasonable, competitive offer....which was rejected in about 20 minutes. A shame for the vendors really because they're never going to shift their house at that price. Especially considering the house directly across from them, which had been completely refurbed top to bottom went for about 150K under what they're asking for. Oh well, perhaps they'll see sense soon but I'm not holding my breath....

I would absolutley be up for the challenge of the houses at auction on Lynton Road, but we just wouldn't be able to secure financing quickly enough which is shame. If nothing us pops up we might just have to wait until the developers flip them and buy one then!

We actually had another call from one of your neighbours on Reverdy Street...he wasn't selling either but just wanted to let us know about the auctions...so sweet. Another great example of why we want to move there!

Would be lovely if you could keep an ear to the ground for any more houses on Alma Grove. Thanks so much for your help!
Thursday 11 September 2008 11.10am
It's hard to know what price the houses in the area will go for. There have been ones that sold at 450k (from land registry data) and some that went for around 420k. They are still good value for such a central location. North of the river you'd pay 700k for a similar sized house.

There is also no increased supply of such properties, as there are no new houses being built - only flats.

Foxtons asking 499k for that property are crazy.
Thursday 11 September 2008 12.53pm
Isn't there a house for sale on Lynton Road as you go towards Monnow Road (the other end of the road from the two houses that are up for auction). There used to be a couple of properties up that end of the road which were up for sale.
Thursday 11 September 2008 1.26pm
Yes, it's on with Acorn for 399k. Lynton Road isn't the nicest road though, it's not (in my opinion) as nice as Alma, Reverdy or Fort as you have more traffic and the views are not as good.
Thursday 11 September 2008 1.41pm
We did actually look at that one too - lovely house, big and really nicely developed but it overlooks too rather unattractive high rise council blocks and has barbed wire running along the back wall of the garden. It's also quite far along Lynton road, which I agree with JGarcia is not as lovely as some of the other streets in the area.
Realise I'm being quite picky now!

But, amazing value in comparison to the one for sale through Foxtons on at 500K. Sorry, beating a dead horse now but the vendor's expectation for that one on Alma Grove are just insane. Completely out of line for the local market.
Thursday 11 September 2008 1.49pm
I agree Alma Grove and Reverdy Rd are best. Reverdy Rd looks especially lovely in the spring when the cherry trees are in blossom (although unfortunately they are infected with some virus and are gradually having to be replaced).

I'll keep an eye open for you although there might not be anything new on the market now until next spring. Hopefully things will pick up then.

Also it's worth keeping an eye on that Foxton's place. You never know - the buyer's circumstances may change and if they want a sale in the current market they'll have to reduce the price quite sharply.
Thursday 11 September 2008 1.53pm
here's hoping they get pregnant and need to move to home (they're French) quickly!

Will defo keep my eyes on the Foxtons and the KFH one for that matter in case it falls through.

Thanks for the help guys...brilliant!
Thursday 11 September 2008 4.09pm
i did a valuation at the bottom end of yalding road earlier this year if you do the first ten houses from the south end you will hit it, thats was a nice big victorian, also there is a nice terrace at the end of macks road overlooking the park and green that might be worth you touting
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: