Possible legal issue with installation of Satellite Dish

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 17 September 2008 10.07am
Hi - does anyone know about legal issues with installations of TV satelite dishes?

Specifically when someone in a third floor flat has satelite TV installed, but the satelite provider links their installation to a dish on the other side of the building and runs a cable from the third floor flat down the outside wall of two flats below (2nd floor and 1st floor), and then around the outside of half the block between ground and first floors.

Do they need permission for the whole thing from the owner of the entire building (freeholder)?
Is the external wall of our flat (2nd floor) owned by us (as the leaseholder), or is it owned by the freeholder?
Would they need permission from us to run the cable down the outside of our flat?
Is it possible (even though almost certainly illegal) to to cut into this cable, and attach a spur cable to obtain a signal, without the 3rd floor flat knowing about it?
Thursday 4 December 2008 4.45pm
so nobody knows then?

probably not worth worrying about right?
Thursday 4 December 2008 9.10pm
If you want an opinion, rather than facts, I'm happy to wade in.

I think it's probably just fine to run your cable wherever you want, unless there's something in the lease that says no. The freeholder normally owns the walls, but would be hard pressed to say you can't run a cable along them - I don't think it'd be justifiable. I'm not sure how a reasonable person could object to a small cable running on the outside of their flat.

On the last question, anything is possible. Try it out with some satellite cable from a shop, and once you get the hang of it, see if you can do it leaning out your 2nd floor window.
Monday 8 December 2008 4.01pm
You will need permission from the freeholder to do anything in the "public" areas of your building i.e. those parts of the building outside of the individual flats (you also need permission for some things you do inside your flat too...like removing walls) as these areas are not yours. Your lease should also cover things like this if it is reasonably new.

It is not necessarily just fine to run cables around anywhere at all. You may end up having them ripped out and being charged for repairing the external brickwork so be prepared for that if you don't obtain consent.

Using someone else's cable is possible but you will still need a decoder card and the service provider (Sky) could accuse you of theft if you are using a dodgy card.
Pen
Tuesday 9 December 2008 11.51pm
Some building in the area have community dishes because the lease does not allow Individual dishes. So you should check your lease agreement. If you are a renter then you should contact the managing agent. If all else fails maybe try a cable provider like Virgin.
Monday 15 December 2008 11.50am
ok, thanks for all the replies.

the original post was written in anger, as we had hangovers when they were drilling a large hole in the wall, at 8am Saturday, for the satelite cable.

it hasn't bothered me since.

I don't want cable TV or Satelite TV. I already spend too much time sat in front of the box, watching mindless drivle, and we already have a digi box for the free stuff. I don't want even more choice of crap to stop me from doing the better things in life.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: