Calling all freeholders of Southwark Council properties

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 16 October 2008 11.04am
Southwark Council are planning to introduce maintenance charges for freeholders on its housing estates. Apparantly, those properties where the freehold was sold after 1988 have always paid these charges and they are now trying to introduce them for properties where the freehold was sold before 1988.
I am going to challenge this and will be taking independent legal advice.
Anyone who is interested in joining me, please contact me via private message.
Thursday 16 October 2008 12.54pm
Just a note to say that you could try using Land Registry - they allow you to search for freehold titles (addresses) in particular locations, then view each address to see when they were sold by Southwark, and the name of the new freeholder - everything you need to make contact with them.

It would take time and cost a few quid (it is 3 to view each title) but maybe you'd get quite a crowd together to each chip in for a top lawyer!

good luck ;-)
Thursday 16 October 2008 12.58pm
Betty what would happen if the property is no longer in the hands of original purchaser?
Friday 17 October 2008 7.30pm
Jan the old one wrote:
Betty what would happen if the property is no longer in the hands of original purchaser?

Unless some subsequent purchaser re-negotiated them (I doubt that Southwark would entertain this) then the deeds will still be the same regardless of how many times the property has changed hands.
Monday 27 October 2008 3.07pm
If you own the freehold then you own the land on which the property stands and no-one should be able to charge you anything in particular which is not set out in the original purchase document. If you are a lease holder then you may have to pay a maintainence charge, but again this and how it is calculated should be set out out in the original lease. This will apply to all susequent purchasers of the property and will form an integral part of the contract to purchase.
Monday 24 November 2008 11.26am
Since posting this message, I have taken legal advice and been advised that, according to the schedules to the deeds to my property, Southwark Council do reserve the right to ask for payment for maintenance charges. This may not apply to all freeholders, but, regrettably, it does to me!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: