Managing Agents

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 5 January 2004 6.47pm
We (the block that I live in) sacked our (property) managing agents in March last year. Since then I have tried several times to get information regarding the accounts.
All my requests have been met with either a request for money to divulge information or a total blanking.
Does anyone know if there is a governing body for property managing agents that i can complain to?
Thanks, Alex.
Monday 5 January 2004 7.52pm
Oooh, my favourite subject. They do have an association: the Association of Property Managing Agents (ARMA) http://www.arma.org.uk or you can contact Lease, who will give you free advice on how to proceed http://www.lease-advice.org.uk/apmaframe.htm

Post edited (05 Jan 04 19:52)
Saturday 10 January 2004 10.36pm
Thanks for the infor. It is really appreciated.

Regards, Alex
Monday 12 January 2004 10.56am
Alex - You're managing agents aren't Equity are they? They stonewalled all our requests for information, and even refused to recognise us as the owners of our flat.

The residents committe of our building had a huge disupte with them recently after various events (not going into details due to ongoing legal action) occurred, and they were replaced with another company, who seem to be doing quite a good job.
Monday 19 January 2004 10.39am
Craig,

would you care to let us know the name of the new company your using?

we are trying to replace our appalling managing agents (Marcus King) - tips appreciated.
Monday 19 January 2004 12.24pm
Hello Sputnik,

After having some bad experiences with our ex managing agents we decided to go it alone and run the block ourselves. (I live in a small block of 8 flats. Any bigger and running it yoursleves might be a bit of a daunting task.)

You do need of course people willing to be treasurer and secretary. (A thankless and time consuming task).

Since taking on the responsibilty ourselves we are not only getting things done quicker but also much cheaper as well.

Regards, Alex
Monday 19 January 2004 12.33pm
Hello Alex,

do the Treasurer and Secretary get any reduction in costs, given all the work they do?

Just wondering how your system works.

We might as well try to learn from a functional system...

many thanks for any further advice.
Monday 19 January 2004 3.18pm
The new agents that we've got - who (so far) seem to be doing a very good job are called Stonedale (www.stonedale.com). As I understand it they are primarily focused on the Tower Bridge/London Bridge/Surrey Quays/Docklands sort of area.
Monday 26 January 2004 11.50am
Hello Sputnik, sorry for the late reply. I have been away.

No the treasurer and secretary do not get a reduction in service charges. I could go on and say that it is a thankless task, but it isn't.

It is hard work but the satisfaction of not having to pay some rip off merchants (better known as managing agents) makes up for all the hard work.

If i can offer any advice I certainly will.

Regards, Alex

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: