The mother church of the Anglican Diocese of Southwark.
Southwark Cathedral is a parish church which became a cathedral early in the 20th century. St Swithin of weather fame founded a convent on the site which later became a monastery. Henry VIII's closure of the priory led to the main building becoming the parish church. William Shakespeare is believed to have been present when John Harvard, founder of the American university, was baptised here in 1607. This is the year that William's own brother Edmond was buried between the choir stalls. Nearby is the Shakespeare memorial.
The Millennium Project development to the north of the cathedral includes a refectory and a shop with specially commissioned Southwark products. The cloister style courtyard is on the site of the original cloister in use when Southwark Cathedral was a riverside priory. The old and new buildings are separated by an ancient alleyway which has reopened as a glazed street called Lancelot's Link.
On Sundays the main choral eucharist is at 11am.
Tel: (020) 7367 6700
Open: Cathedral daily 8am-6pm; Refectory Mon-Fri 8.30am-6pm; Sat & Sun 10am-6pm
Beat the queues & save money with the London Pass
valid at Southwark Cathedral
Want a handy printed guide to what's on in the area each month?
Pick up a free copy of in SE1 at Southwark Cathedral.
News & features about Southwark Cathedral
- 6-metre City & Southwark wall hanging unveiled at Glaziers Hall (12 Jul 2015)
- Southwark Cathedral churchyard gets a makeover (29 Jun 2015)
- Requiem Mass for Barry Albin-Dyer at St George's Cathedral (17 Jun 2015)
- Thomas Cure's legacy remembered with special beer (16 Jun 2015)
- Archbishop responds to Mount Kinabalu row during Southwark visit (14 Jun 2015)
- New skyscraper planned close to the Shard (30 May 2015)
- Southwark & Lambeth Archaeological Society celebrates 50 years (27 May 2015)
- Southwark Civic Awards: record number of locals honoured (20 May 2015)
- Cllr Dora Dixon-Fyle is new Mayor of Southwark (17 May 2015)
- VE Day theme for 'Beating the Bounds' custom (11 May 2015)
- Peal of bells at Southwark Cathedral for VE Day 'moment of noise' (9 May 2015)
- St George's Day celebrated in Southwark (30 Apr 2015)
- Audio: Bermondsey & Old Southwark hustings at Southwark Cathedral (26 Apr 2015)
- Southwark Cathedral confirms Rouen link (20 Apr 2015)
- Housing clash at Young Vic election hustings (18 Apr 2015)
- Olivia Colman and Neil Morrissey filming in Southwark (2 Apr 2015)
- Fr Richard Hearn installed as dean of St George's Cathedral (24 Mar 2015)
- 50 years of Southwark & Borough Market millennium celebrated (10 Mar 2015)
- Local firms compete in pancake races at Borough Market and More London (18 Feb 2015)
- A Nativity scene with a difference at Southwark Cathedral (24 Dec 2014)
- Borough Market Christmas lights switched on (4 Dec 2014)
- Former City Lord Mayor is Southwark's Guildable Manor foreman (13 Nov 2014)
- Remembrance Sunday 2014: pictures & audio (10 Nov 2014)
- Lord Mayor's Show features Thames flotilla and Bermondsey choir (10 Nov 2014)
- Luxury flats next to Shard to complete Renzo Piano 'trilogy' (5 Nov 2014)
Forum discussions about Southwark Cathedral
- Borough Map
- Movietone Archive
- Neil Coyle's position on Heygate/Aylesbury?
- General Election 2015 - Bermondsey & Old Southwark Hustings
- All Hallows Church
- 1980s regional news reports from Thames News
- Cross Bones Gates and Garden
- What used to be where Pizza Express is?
- Southwark Leaders Debate 25th April 2014
- Brompton and unicycle refurb/service
- Hidden Southwark?
- Bells of SE1
- Waterloo Zeitgeist
- London Bridge area fireworks
- House of Switzerland
- Road-marking stencil for "Union Press" project
- Bermondsey Farmers' Market
- Shad Thames cobbles
- Thames Path/Shad Thames
- Are we electing a new Mayor?
Restaurants, pubs & bars close to Southwark Cathedral
- The Mudlark (28 yards)
- Cafe Brood (38 yards)
- Southwark Cathedral Refectory (42 yards)
- Boro Bistro (46 yards)
- The Guildable Manor (46 yards)
- Fish! (58 yards)
- Whiskey Ginger (58 yards)
- Lobos Meat & Tapas (64 yards)
- The Barrowboy and Banker (66 yards)
- Pizza Express (66 yards)
- Banana Store (70 yards)
- London Bridge Kebab (74 yards)
- fish!kitchen (76 yards)
- Hobbs (80 yards)
- The Globe Tavern (82 yards)
- Pret a Manger (90 yards)