The mother church of the Anglican Diocese of Southwark.
Southwark Cathedral is a parish church which became a cathedral early in the 20th century. St Swithin of weather fame founded a convent on the site which later became a monastery. Henry VIII's closure of the priory led to the main building becoming the parish church. William Shakespeare is believed to have been present when John Harvard, founder of the American university, was baptised here in 1607. This is the year that William's own brother Edmond was buried between the choir stalls. Nearby is the Shakespeare memorial.
The Millennium Project development to the north of the cathedral includes a refectory and a shop with specially commissioned Southwark products. The cloister style courtyard is on the site of the original cloister in use when Southwark Cathedral was a riverside priory. The old and new buildings are separated by an ancient alleyway which has reopened as a glazed street called Lancelot's Link.
On Sundays the main choral eucharist is at 11am.
Tel: (020) 7367 6700
Open: Cathedral daily 8am-6pm; Refectory Mon-Fri 8.30am-6pm; Sat & Sun 10am-6pm
Beat the queues & save money with the London Pass
valid at Southwark Cathedral
Want a handy printed guide to what's on in the area each month?
Pick up a free copy of in SE1 at Southwark Cathedral.
News & features about Southwark Cathedral
- Southwark's cathedrals share £700k from WWI centenary fund (10 Jul 2014)
- Deacon James Sheahan retires from St George's Cathedral (8 Jul 2014)
- Sunday Service: photographing Southwark's black majority churches (5 Jul 2014)
- Swiss Railway Clock installed at Borough Market as Olympic legacy (25 Jun 2014)
- Beating the bounds of Southwark Cathedral's parish (15 Jun 2014)
- 2014 Southwark Civic Awards presented at Southwark Cathedral (14 Jun 2014)
- Farewell to Canon Bruce Saunders at Southwark Cathedral (9 Jun 2014)
- Cllr Sunil Chopra becomes Mayor of Southwark (9 Jun 2014)
- Christian and Muslim youths meet at Rockingham Community Centre (2 Jun 2014)
- Bishop of Woolwich on 46-mile walk round three boroughs (27 May 2014)
- Beating the bounds of Waterloo: MPs and councillors join St John's congregation (15 May 2014)
- 'Social cleansing' or 'the right thing to do'? council candidates clash over affordable housing cash (10 May 2014)
- Former St Thomas' Church to be turned into a restaurant (23 Apr 2014)
- Train named City of St Albans at Blackfriars Station ceremony (19 Apr 2014)
- Hundreds gather at Southwark Cathedral for Ted Bowman's funeral (16 Apr 2014)
- Southwark Cathedral palm procession in Borough Market (13 Apr 2014)
- Borough High Street war memorial rededicated (30 Mar 2014)
- Japan earthquake victims remembered at Southwark Cathedral service (17 Mar 2014)
- Southwark Cathedral hosts art installations during Lent (6 Mar 2014)
- Book launch marks start of Southwark Cathedral's WWI commemorations (4 Mar 2014)
- Estate agents and bankers triumph in SE1 pancake races (4 Mar 2014)
- Prayers on London Bridge for Thames flood victims (12 Jan 2014)
- Murdoch's UK firms sign 30-year lease for the Baby Shard (6 Jan 2014)
- Bishop of Southwark criticises IDS over foodbank snub (30 Dec 2013)
- New St Hugh's church dedicated by Bishop of Southwark (8 Dec 2013)
Forum discussions about Southwark Cathedral
- What used to be where Pizza Express is?
- Southwark Leaders Debate 25th April 2014
- Brompton and unicycle refurb/service
- Hidden Southwark?
- Bells of SE1
- Waterloo Zeitgeist
- London Bridge area fireworks
- House of Switzerland
- Road-marking stencil for "Union Press" project
- Bermondsey Farmers' Market
- Shad Thames cobbles
- Thames Path/Shad Thames
- Are we electing a new Mayor?
- Maltby Street Revisited
- Borough Market
- NHS staff electoral challenge to Simon Hughes
- Verbal abuse in Southwark Cathedral
- Carols at Southwark Cathedral
- Help the homeless in winter
- Siren at 11am on 11/11
Restaurants, pubs & bars close to Southwark Cathedral
- The Mudlark (28 yards)
- Cafe Brood (38 yards)
- Altamarea (38 yards)
- Southwark Cathedral Refectory (42 yards)
- Boro Bistro (46 yards)
- The Guildable Manor (46 yards)
- Fish! (58 yards)
- The Barrowboy and Banker (66 yards)
- Pizza Express (66 yards)
- Banana Store (70 yards)
- London Bridge Kebab (74 yards)
- fish!kitchen (76 yards)
- Hobbs (80 yards)
- The Globe Tavern (82 yards)
- Pret a Manger (90 yards)
- Bedales (96 yards)