This small but delightful garden was originally laid out in 1887 on the site of a derelict paper factory by Octavia Hill, the Victorian philanthropist and co-founder of the National Trust as 'an open-air sitting-room' for the people of Southwark. In its heyday it was the scene of the annual Southwark Flower Show and many concerts and ftes.
Bankside Open Spaces Trust has worked with many supporters to restore the original layout of this delightful Victorian garden. The project included the recreation of the pond with bridge and fountain, new flower beds, lawns and benches, and a small information centre and gardener's office. The garden fronts Octavia Hill's model dwellings and community hall (private), both integral to her vision for the local community.
Tours exploring the garden's history; children's Victorian costumes and toys.