London SE1 community website

Cycle Speedway

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Thursday 18 December 2008 7.25pm
Anyone who is interested in the sport at that time go into veteran cycle speedway riders association on line then go to archives and there are pictures of what all the lads did all that time ago how it all began and pictures of the lads in action. Dont anyone know any person who took part other than me ! theirs someone out there somewhere ?
Joe Foster
Friday 19 December 2008 8.43pm
In reply to DJM on the 16 th I have now found out on an old map at what place the Bermondsey Greyhounds raced
It was on a bomb site between Stanworth Street and Larnaca Street in the shadows of the old Metal Box Factory in Riley Road which has now been redeveloped.
Do you agree?
Jor Foster
Wednesday 9 June 2010 6.36pm
Joe, although I was a peckham boy I started cycle speedway racing (as a junior) in 1946, my first club was peckham stars,followed by ruskin flyers (camberwell). In 1952 I joined Bermondsey Greyhounds at the Larnaca road track, before moving on again to two more Peckham teams (troy town woodpeckers & nunhead dragons). In 1954 I moved to Beckenham,kent and joined the Beckenham Monarchs team, I eventually retired from racing in approx 1996 after a number of years racing in veterans events. In my racing career I raced on numerous occassions against Lynton Lynx at both of their tracks,I also raced on many occassions against Verney Lions at their Verney road track. The cycle speedway matches at New Cross Stadium were South London Rangers(from Wandsworth) as the home team,I had the misfortune to race there for Beckenham, it was ridiculous as a spectacle, the track measured 262 yards whereas our tracks were only approx 80 yards long
so the races were a procession unless we stage managed crashes(which we did). The veteran Cycle speedway riders association is open to any ex rider who would like to join. If anyone has any photographs of the sport I would dearly like to obtain copies.
Wednesday 9 June 2010 7.30pm
Joe Foster wrote:
In reply to DJM on the 16 th I have now found out on an old map at what place the Bermondsey Greyhounds raced
It was on a bomb site between Stanworth Street and Larnaca Street in the shadows of the old Metal Box Factory in Riley Road which has now been redeveloped.
Do you agree?
Jor Foster
sorry i took so long to reply (merry christmas ,lmao)
i do agree with you Joe ,i can see that track clear as if i'd just been there ,it was exciting racing and i'm sure everyone there felt the same ,magic

DJM
Wednesday 9 June 2010 7.39pm
brilliant clips nigel,ta for that

DJM
Friday 11 June 2010 11.41am
Danny

You appear to be the only one that I can find that rode in South London during the period after the war.

Its quite possible that you can recall some of thee Lads who are on the Bermondsey Greyhounds V Tooting Tigers photo on the veteran riders archive

I rode for Bermondsy and then Lynton Lynx prior to going into the army

I feel sure there must be some other people out there who took part Keep in Contact

[email protected]

Joe Foster
Friday 11 June 2010 10.20pm
Joe
Thanks for your reply,to the best of my knowledge the Bermondsey riders in the photograph are Left to Right
BERT FUNNELL--CHARLIE DALE--TOMMY JARRETT
R. DIGBY--PETE PRESTON--(CANNOT RECALL)
RONNIE JARRETT--(CANNOT RECALL).
the photo on the vets page has got the Bermondsey riders muddled up, the Tooting line up is correct.
Out of interest the photos numbered 3003-3019 on the vets web site were submitted by myself, number 3003-3005 were taken at the Verney track and 3007 was taken at the Cardinal Monarchs track which was close to the Old Kent Road/New Kent Road junction.
I now play golf(badly) one of the members of our club has a brother JOEY MENDETTA who was a Lynton rider, I have been trying for about 12 months to get him to obtain some photos for me without success. There are quite a few riders of our era still in circulation,in fact only today I was with two of them (Ron Johnson & Wally Dighton), This coming Thursday we have our Vets golf day at Darenth Valley and on the 23rd of this month a group of us will be meeting up for a ramble visiting some of the ancient waterside pubs along the Thames in the Wapping area, stopping for lunch at one of them, I am informed this is not a pub crawl but an educational and cultural visit to an historic part of London
Danny
Saturday 12 June 2010 5.34pm
"danny" daniel wrote:
Joe
Thanks for your reply,to the best of my knowledge the Bermondsey riders in the photograph are Left to Right
BERT FUNNELL--CHARLIE DALE--TOMMY JARRETT
R. DIGBY--PETE PRESTON--(CANNOT RECALL)
RONNIE JARRETT--(CANNOT RECALL).
the photo on the vets page has got the Bermondsey riders muddled up, the Tooting line up is correct.
Out of interest the photos numbered 3003-3019 on the vets web site were submitted by myself, number 3003-3005 were taken at the Verney track and 3007 was taken at the Cardinal Monarchs track which was close to the Old Kent Road/New Kent Road junction.
I now play golf(badly) one of the members of our club has a brother JOEY MENDETTA who was a Lynton rider, I have been trying for about 12 months to get him to obtain some photos for me without success. There are quite a few riders of our era still in circulation,in fact only today I was with two of them (Ron Johnson & Wally Dighton), This coming Thursday we have our Vets golf day at Darenth Valley and on the 23rd of this month a group of us will be meeting up for a ramble visiting some of the ancient waterside pubs along the Thames in the Wapping area, stopping for lunch at one of them, I am informed this is not a pub crawl but an educational and cultural visit to an historic part of London
Danny
Saturday 12 June 2010 5.39pm
Danny

What a small world we live in I have some photos of Joey Mendetta taken at the Lynton Track when it had been relayed agaist the railway sidings if you see him give him my rgards and an email to send the photos too

Joe Foster
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions