London SE1 community website

Shardettes/Three Houses/Three Spires [major London Bridge development by Sellar & Herzog & de Meuron]

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 10 of 17
Sunday 29 November 2009 1.07pm
http://www.bermondseyvillage.org.uk/pdf/BSAP%20Agenda%20031209.pdf

Thursday 03 December 2009
at the International Wine & Spirit Centre
39-45 Bermondsey Street, SE1 3XF
1st Floor, Vintners Room
Time: 6.30 - 8.30

AGENDA

3 6.40 - 7.30 Iain Macgregor, Director of
Development Management for Sellar
Developments will give an update on
the “3 Spires” - followed by Q & As

Can anyone who is going please give an update here?
Friday 4 December 2009 4.09pm
Did anyone go to the BSAP meeting?
Friday 4 December 2009 9.41pm
If anyone is interested there is some discussion of the meeting here.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=787222&page=16
Friday 4 December 2009 10.15pm
Smoggie Si on skyscrapercity there says he asked if the beautiful (my word) old warehouse is to be demolished to which the amswer was 'yes'. A few on there are not happy and I'm extremely unhappy with that.

What exactly can I do to object? I've never protested against something like this before.
Friday 4 December 2009 11.50pm
beetroot,

I was at the meeting and I heard a different "take" from Smoggie Si about the warehouse demolition prospect (although it was clear that Sellar regards it as an inconvenience).

One of the BSAP Planning Subcommittee members brought up the similar case of the Light Bar in Shoreditch :

"Developer Hammerson submitted a revised planning application which saves The Light Bar in Shoreditch High Street" - see Hackney Gazette last month.

It was clear that Sellar's man (whom I thought behaved well and with considerable restraint under gentle provocation) was aware of this and seemed to me to be resigned to the prospect of a similar outcome in the case of the Snowsfields/St Thomas Street warehouse (not a listed building, but in the Bermondsey Street conservation area), if there is sufficient local mobilisation.

I would also note i) the preposterous and now abandoned Lido idea for Leathermarket Gardens area and the demolition of the school (to be replaced by a new-build) belonged to Southwark Council, not Sellar; ii) the entire ground floor of the largest of the proposed Sellar towers is to proposed to be designated as "community space", which I find heartening.

Also, Sellar last night committed to present again to the BSAP in mid-January 2010, once full proposals for the consultation plans are complete, with models and full graphics. Watch this space or see www.bermondseyvillage.org.uk for details!

So to answer your question, beetroot, I'm sure the Light Bar would be only too happy to share the secret of their success in resisting the demolition of a characterful building in a major development with you, if you approached them.
Saturday 5 December 2009 12.36am
thank you se1ty slicker. I will approach them.

I have to say, the idea that anyone could even suggest demolition of the school is shocking. That it came from Southwark Council quite honestly makes me feel sick.

The Lido idea was balls. Burgess park yes, little Leathermarket Gardens- how bloody stupid.
Sunday 6 December 2009 11.22am
se1ty slicker wrote:
beetroot,
I was at the meeting and I heard a different "take" from Smoggie Si about the warehouse demolition prospect (although it was clear that Sellar regards it as an inconvenience).

One of the BSAP Planning Subcommittee members brought up the similar case of the Light Bar in Shoreditch :

"Developer Hammerson submitted a revised planning application which saves The Light Bar in Shoreditch High Street" - see Hackney Gazette last month.

It was clear that Sellar's man (whom I thought behaved well and with considerable restraint under gentle provocation) was aware of this and seemed to me to be resigned to the prospect of a similar outcome in the case of the Snowsfields/St Thomas Street warehouse (not a listed building, but in the Bermondsey Street conservation area), if there is sufficient local mobilisation.

I would also note i) the preposterous and now abandoned Lido idea for Leathermarket Gardens area and the demolition of the school (to be replaced by a new-build) belonged to Southwark Council, not Sellar; ii) the entire ground floor of the largest of the proposed Sellar towers is to proposed to be designated as "community space", which I find heartening.

Also, Sellar last night committed to present again to the BSAP in mid-January 2010, once full proposals for the consultation plans are complete, with models and full graphics. Watch this space or see www.bermondseyvillage.org.uk for details!

So to answer your question, beetroot, I'm sure the Light Bar would be only too happy to share the secret of their success in resisting the demolition of a characterful building in a major development with you, if you approached them.

That was me who asked the question about the warehouse and gave the example of the Light Bar, as well as being the aforementioned smoggie si from skyscrapercity. I don't have much imagination when it comes to usernames! ;)

It was clear that Sellar are not willing or able to share much information about the scheme at the moment and it will be very interesting to see what they are able to present in January.
Sunday 6 December 2009 11.29am
Hi Smoggy
even less imagination with usernames here! I'm the same vegetable all over the place.
Saturday 10 April 2010 10.06am
https://ldfconsultation.southwark.gov.uk/consult.ti/BBLBSPD/viewCompoundDoc?docid=413076&partid=416404

From the website, (I'm sure this will generate lots of discusssion)

Framework
5.5 St Thomas Street car park and adjoining sites
Why is this site important?

This is a gap site located at the important junction of St Thomas Street, Bermondsey Street and Snowsfields.
Redevelopment of the site could make a significant contribution to revitalising St Thomas Street and creating a destination to draw people south through the viaducts.
The site is close to planned new access points to London Bridge Station.
Development on the site could make a significant contribution to providing high quality housing in London Bridge.
The site is identified as having the potential for tall buildings.
What issues need to be addressed?

The site lies within the Bermondsey Conservation Area and is close to a number of Grade II and II* listed buildings.
The site lies within the background assessment area of strategic views of St Paul's. Views from within the Tower of London and up Bermondsey Street are also important considerations.
Snowsfields is an important route south from St Thomas Street and links with a number of streets that provide links into Bermondsey Village.

How should the site be developed?
Saturday 10 April 2010 10.13am
I posted this thinking this was from the posters that have been put up on Bermondsey Street asking for consultation.

I'm not sure my link above is going to the correct consultation on the Southwark website, but it was all I could find.

The posters show three skyscrapers at the junction of Bermondsey Street and St Thomas Street (but I don't think (hope)they are the true renders for the Herzog Du Meron Three Houses project)

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=3131534

Anyone know anything?
Current: 10 of 17

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions