London SE1 community website

Shardettes/Three Houses/Three Spires [major London Bridge development by Sellar & Herzog & de Meuron]

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 11 of 17
Sunday 11 April 2010 1.11pm
http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200151/supplementary_planning_documents_and_guidance/1246/bankside_borough_and_london_bridge_spd/3

"You can make comments on the draft planning framework from 12 February 2010 until 26 March 2010."

Well, I don't know why the first I heard of this is a poster in Bermondsey Street which appeared after the deadline for submissions closed (I only noticed it on Thursday evening)!

I'm saddened that they have only had 15 responses for such an important issue. I didn't notice anything here on SE1 or the skyscrapercity website. Maybe I missed all the promotion of the debate by the council?

Also the render on the poster loooks like the have put three Centre Point tower blocks at the junction of Bermondsey Street and St Thomas's. This to me looks like a provocation as from what I've seen from draft plans on skyscrapercity the guide/draft plans for the Three House project look nothing like this render.

I'm also surprised no one else has made any comments on this issue following my initial post. I'm really keen to hear what my fellow SE1ers think?
Sunday 11 April 2010 2.03pm
Hi there

I'm a long time lurker, but I've finally been provoked into posting something.

The reason that Southwark Council haven't received many objections to theire plans is that I don't think anyone knows about it.
I live on Bermondsey Street, and the first thing I knew was when I spotted the posters on Friday evening. I don't know how long they have been there as I don't usually walk past the north end of the street.

I have since sent an email to my neighbourhood google group alerting all of my neighbours to the situation.

Whatever your opinion may be on the merits or otherwise of “high-rise, high density” developments, why on earth anyone would think that the end of a winding medieval street comprised of mostly three and four storey developments would be a good place to put them is beyond me.

The date on the poster for objections is the 23rd April, and I'll be making sure my comments are with them by then.
Sunday 11 April 2010 5.39pm
Looking at the poster, I'm not entirely sure it's entirely kosher.

If you read the link MiltonF posted, Southwark council state

* Development must not negatively impact on the character and townscape of the Bermondsey Street Conservation Area.

* The form and layout of the development should reflect the historic grain of the conservation area.

* The established view of the line of buildings from Bermondsey Street looking north should not be dominated by the form of the new development.

* Building heights should step down to the Bermondsey Street corner. The frontage to St Thomas Street should continue the established heights and building line of the street.

* Residential accommodation will be expected to be of the highest standard and provide a good internal living environment.

* The form of the building must be appropriate to accommodate substantial amounts of publicly accessible active uses.

None of these conditions tally with the monolithic (or should it be triolithic?) structures rendered onto the end of the Bermondsey Street scene as depicted on the posters.

I wonder if the posters are an attempt by someone to engage people in Southwark's process regarding the site (a good thing) by presenting an version of the site no one is seriously proposing (a slightly less noble thing)
Sunday 11 April 2010 6.00pm
Hopefully you don't need to be too despondent just yet. If the rules haven't changed from last year, just three objections to a planning application will force it to go to a public council planning meeting, where you can register, go along and make your points heard directly to the ward councillors, who will take a decision. That takes the final decision out of the hands of any kind of automatic, unscrutinised planning department.
Monday 12 April 2010 8.16am
Monday 12 April 2010 8.49am
Where's Bermondsey Village? And where is the winding medieval street?
This is all a bit "stable door after the horse has bolted". I don't see why getting precious will help now. The area has long since been over-developed - the idea that Bermondsey Street houses some sort of community is laughable. It's all about the money and the developments will continue regardless of how well they fit in. Everything between the Elephant and the river is fair game, and with monstrosities like the Shard getting the go-ahead - well, anything can and will happen.
Monday 12 April 2010 10.59am
The Shard is not a monstrosity, it will be one of the best designed modern towers in the world. As for the render, it is rather awful, but something tells me that is not the design that will actually be proposed.
Monday 12 April 2010 6.38pm
Milton F, Newcastle Guy and everyone else who wants to have their say on this important issue:

You will no doubt be delighted to hear that the period for comments in the Draft Bankside, Borough and London Bridge Planning Framework Consultation has been extended to 23rd April 2010.

Here's once way of staying informed : the Bermondsey Street Area Partnership (BSAP) alerted its Members to this Consultation by e-mail on 25th February 2010 and followed up by providing Members with the extensive findings of the BSAP Planning Sub-Committee (which comprises 4 career architects, all with different viewpoints on this topic!) on 25th March 2010. One of our Members then obtained the extension from Southwark to 5pm on 23rd April 2010 after complaining about the lack of notice or publicity given.

Mind you, the BSAP isn't just about bringing SE1 Planning issues to light: we organize the popular Bermondsey Street Festival each September, obtain discounts for Members in local shops and restaurants by offering the London Bridge Business Development Dealcard and we have a lively Book Club and a new Cinema Club, with frequent previews of exhibitions, shows and new shop/bar openings offered to Members. We also throw a pretty good Christmas Party.

All that for just 15 for Resident Members, 75 for Business Members in 2010.

Take a look at our website http://www.bermondseyvillage.org.uk to find out more and print an Application Form.

ps In case you hadn't already guessed, I'm the BSAP Membership Secretary !
Current: 11 of 17

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions