London SE1 community website

Shardettes/Three Houses/Three Spires [major London Bridge development by Sellar & Herzog & de Meuron]

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 17
Wednesday 21 January 2009 9.24pm
Zandra summed it up better than I could:

“This would fit in with the Shard,” she said. “These blocks would be good for the area and will tie in with other things going on. At the moment, this area is only car parks and needs reworking.”

But Rhodes also called for the scheme to include parkland, and for the tower nearest to the Bermondsey Street conservation area to be modified to lessen its impact. “You don't need blocks annihilating Bermondsey Street,” she said.

My point was that a cluster of tall buildings is better than one tall building by itself hence the use of the word 'context'.

I'm not entirely sure that tall buildings can't sit happily next to shorter ones. In San Francisco, the famed Transamerica Pyramid is situated right next to an area of 3-4 storey 'pre-war' buildings, and the contrast of modern and old, tall and short, works very well. For a great photo, see:

http://benjaminwey2000.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/transamerica-at-night.jpg

Chris
Wednesday 21 January 2009 9.35pm
great picture carmenes82... and why is it they everyone always seem to equate tall buildings with greed?? if the alternative is a derelict carpark where does the greed come in?
Wednesday 21 January 2009 9.46pm
This scheme has been dubbed 'the Breadsticks' in today's thelondonpaper

http://tinyurl.com/breadsticks

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 21 January 2009 10.12pm
boroughpaul wrote:
great picture carmenes82... and why is it they everyone always seem to equate tall buildings with greed?? if the alternative is a derelict carpark where does the greed come in?

I worked in one of the buildings down one of the side streets on the left of the picture for 6 months - happy days! Each day my walk home would take in some of the older buildings and then through 'downtown'.

Completely agree about 'greed' - who cares how much the developer makes if they produce a good scheme. The focus should be on good quality architecture, getting a decent proportion of affordable housing, generating jobs in SE1, etc.
Thursday 22 January 2009 8.14am
they ought to show lots of good pictures from the right perspective of all new London
architecture more often - ppl (including me) dont know whats around

Vauxhall Cross looks like a mini-manhattan island from Lambeth bridge

theres a small road leading towards Tate modern where theres a new block with an interesting sideways tilt at the top - but its only from that side road that you get the effect - i only discovered it by accident out cycling

i think itd be good if they did it on tv shows set in London - so lots of ppl could see it - its getting a bit boring just seeing the Gherkin all the time

i havent been there yet yet but apparently the public roofterrace at no 1 Poultry is the best place to view all the new(ish) stuff in the City of London
Thursday 22 January 2009 10.13am
I really don't understand the selfish NIMBYism that some of the posters here have adopted in relation to plans that they haven't even seen yet! Herzog & de Meuron did wonders for the South Bank with the Tate Modern and wowed the world with the bird's nest in Beijing. Given the number of incidents that occur around that junction and in and around those tunnels, and given the fact that the site is currently only viable as a dump/car park, what problem could people possibly have with a project involving world class architecture/housing for key workers/community facilities/tidying up of the area???
Thursday 22 January 2009 11.48am
hear hear!!
Thursday 22 January 2009 12.42pm
designateddriver wrote:

I really don't understand the selfish NIMBYism that some of the posters here have adopted in relation to plans that they haven't even seen yet!

Agreed, it's a bit pathetic to be honest. People seem to forget they are living in the centre of a major world city, not a village in Cornwall.
Thursday 22 January 2009 2.06pm
All for this development. It's very desolate at that spot and if you're going to fill a space why not do it with bombast?
Thursday 22 January 2009 7.38pm
Although it's too way too early to cast judgement on this scheme (particularly as pictures of the proposed building haven't even been released yet!), I think it's great that the Southbank and surrounding area is the focus of so much attention and potential investment.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 17

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions