London SE1 community website

Shardettes/Three Houses/Three Spires [major London Bridge development by Sellar & Herzog & de Meuron]

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 17
Thursday 22 January 2009 7.48pm
OscarMascott wrote:
School, lido? What about a Waitrose?

The basement floor of 7 More London, which is currently being built just round the corner from this site, will have space for a mid-sized supermarket. I think the building is set for completion later this year. See this link for more details on the development.
Friday 23 January 2009 6.28pm
Estates Gazette editor writes about Three Houses in tonight's Standard:
http://tinyurl.com/3houses-zandra

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 23 January 2009 10.30pm
designateddriver wrote:
I really don't understand the selfish NIMBYism that some of the posters here have adopted in relation to plans that they haven't even seen yet!

Selfish nimbyism? Why is it selfish to want SE1 to be SE1 and not Dubai? Why is it selfish to care about where you live and what people do to it? Why is it selfish to want it to be better?

I have seen the plans. They were in the paper. They are on the net. I also have the ability to read them and see how they will affect the area.
Tate modern is not a comparison, that was effectively a refurb.

SE1 is a wonderful place with some fantastic and unique history which is being destroyed simply for the profit motive.

That area could do with some TLC but this isn't TLC it's just wrong in so many ways.
Saturday 24 January 2009 8.58am
SE1 has a great history true but it also needs a future. no city can afford to freeze itself in time and tall is modern...why does everyone think Dubai when they discuss modern architecture? and whats the problem with Dubai anyway? why should london not be up there along with the likes of New York, Chicago, Sydney or Shanghai in developing a 21st century skyline?
Sunday 25 January 2009 8.13pm
boroughpaul wrote:
SE1 has a great history true but it also needs a future. no city can afford to freeze itself in time and tall is modern...why does everyone think Dubai when they discuss modern architecture? and whats the problem with Dubai anyway? why should london not be up there along with the likes of New York, Chicago, Sydney or Shanghai in developing a 21st century skyline?

So skyscrapers (even though inaccessible to anyone who doesn't live or work in them, overshadow homes for miles and block historic views) = "good".
Anything else = "bad".

I think the 21st century should be better than that.
And I don't see why my opinion is worth less than yours.
Sunday 25 January 2009 9.01pm
Agree Boroughpaul.. We live in a vibrant world class city and borough. If people want to live in an area that is bland and stagnant then move to Chelsea...The beauty of this is area while its old .. but its evolving.
Sunday 25 January 2009 9.03pm
Davies - I respect your view but disagree, i think the plans are exciting and reflect a modernity that will benefit SE1 in the years ahead. Some places in SE1 are exciting and make it a great place to live, others are grim and make you scared to walk there at night.

I believe this on Balance will improve one of those areas.

Recession is a time when a city and its buildings can change dramatically - as a community I think we should embrace such opportunity
Monday 26 January 2009 12.35pm
I don't think there is any problem with Dubai, but it can never have what SE1 has, history and a wide variety of old building stock. I'm a bit curious as to why people who are so keen on large skyscrapers live in SE1--surely you could move to Canary Wharf? Or even Dubai--it seems to be hiring people still!

carmenes82 wrote:
I'm not entirely sure that tall buildings can't sit happily next to shorter ones. In San Francisco, the famed Transamerica Pyramid is situated right next to an area of 3-4 storey 'pre-war' buildings, and the contrast of modern and old, tall and short, works very well.

The Transamerica Pyramid is an ugly joke building, especially at street level, but it veers inward pretty sharply, so it does not have the heavy mass of a straight skyscraper. It would have quite a different effect if it were as wide at the top as it is at the bottom. Even so, it was downsized by about 20% from its original design. Even back in 1969 there were city regulations that required buildings not to block out too much daylight from the streets.

wjfox2004 wrote:
Agreed, it's a bit pathetic to be honest. People seem to forget they are living in the centre of a major world city, not a village in Cornwall.

Well, except for you, right? It was already established in the Shard thread that you do not live in SE1 or even London, so you will not be affected by any of these buildings.
Monday 26 January 2009 12.45pm
Oops, my apologies--faulty memory. I should have double-checked before posting. It wasn't wjfox2004, it was another pro-skyscraper poster who does not live here. Sorry!
Monday 26 January 2009 1.40pm
I'm all for progress, and for skyscrapers (I've lived in Hong Kong, been to Shanghai etc) but these new buildings do seem a little bit high given the immediately surrounding (and occupied) residential buildings. Even though it's only a few hundred yards up the road, the Shard is a different proposition (and I'm fully in favour of it) because it's surrounded by more functional buildings. Would this Three Houses thing also involve pulling down the mysterious warehouse that's just behind the car parks on St Thomas's Street - that place appears derelict, but sometimes has loads of lights on (and an alarming crack running down its south-facing wall).... Would be a shame to lose that building if it could be fixed up properly.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 17

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions