London SE1 community website

Shardettes/Three Houses/Three Spires [major London Bridge development by Sellar & Herzog & de Meuron]

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 17
Wednesday 28 January 2009 5.28pm
Today's ES Homes & Property supplement has this:
http://es.homesandproperty.co.uk/seefrancefromhere.html

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 28 January 2009 6.26pm
Well, glad that the occupants of 12 flats will be able to see France. That certainly makes plonking down a larger Canary Wharf around London Bridge/Guy's worthwhile.

I am so glad I do not own my flat.
TAK
Wednesday 28 January 2009 6.57pm
Wasn't the shard gonna have some public accessible observation deck at the top?

Visiting Japan, I was surprised how accessible to the public many tall buildings are. Quite a few buildings feature observatories or bars and some even glazed external elevators.

I really find it a shame that Virtigo42 - the bar on the 42nd floor of the 'Nat West' tower - has those stringent security rules and advanced booking is necessary. It's also only open on weekdays...being up there is just wonderful.

I really hope that all new planned tall buildings in London will actually offer some public access to the top.
Sunday 22 February 2009 1.53pm
A guess a lot of people will have seen this in the Sunday Times today.

I am wondering in this is speculative or just to give a PR boost to the Shard. Sellers seem to be betting the farm on our little corner of SE1.

Also, how did they manage to nobble Zandra Rhodes to support it?

What's Southwark's view?

Anyone got any answers.....

Here are the pix and the article

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00491/graphic_491018a.jpg

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/commercial/article5661248.ece
Sunday 22 February 2009 3.17pm
These outlines do complement The Shard. From many angles there'll be a pleasing visual rhythm. Ok, the devil's in the detail, but to replace a car park with awe-inspiring architecture works for me. HdM, Foster and Piano developments within spitting distance of each other in SE1 and just down the road from me would be glorious.

While I agree with Laphroaig that the TransAm is a joke, this cluster is probably the real deal.

Those who rail against greed as a motive should boycott all the other businesses in SE1 including this site. I believe my hairdresser cuts my hair from greed. I remember the many years of lifelessness and hoardings where More London now stands. Now is an all-round good time to undertake big projects at lower cost than the boom years. London Bridge and environs are shaping up as one of the prime urban sites in the world. Great architecture drives that. The mix of modern and retro is perfect and typical of London. It's car parks and 60's/70's brutalism that stink the place up.
Sunday 22 February 2009 7.03pm
I wonder how far the shadow cast by that thing will reach.
Zandra may not be so pleased when she finds her roof terrace, along with the rest of Bermondsy Street and environs, is going to have the sun blocked out by the thing.
Sunday 22 February 2009 9.51pm
Ah but as you will find that the earth revolves so do the shadows.

Not much to add until proper plans are released. The Shard & the London Bridge Station will obviously cause certain parts of the area to be in shade certain times of the day and depending on the time of year.

The question is , without the hyperbole about the height, will this development improve the area or not or would people prefer a run down car park so long as they keep there view away from perceived shadow for pat of the day.
Sunday 22 February 2009 10.17pm
well it all sounds very exciting to me and having just watched Richard Hammond and Tower 101 in Taipai i feel much happier about journeying to the top of the Shard to see the views. Hopefully these new London towers will all have public viewing platforms, cant understand why Canary Wharf doesnt.
Monday 23 February 2009 9.04am
Yes, car parks and 1970s buildings are ugly. But it's disingenuous to imply that the only other possibility is a giant skyscraper (or three). I don't think anyone minds seeing a car park replaced with an interesting building. It's all about the scale in this development (and the Shard).
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 17

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions