London SE1 community website

Shardettes/Three Houses/Three Spires [major London Bridge development by Sellar & Herzog & de Meuron]

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 7 of 17
Monday 23 February 2009 10.28am
The implication of several posters on here about the site (currently an ugly car park) being the only alternative to this development is wholey disingenuous. As I have said before the car park owners would understandably like to maximise their profit from selling and this would come from the largest (read tallest) development. Until there is planning permnission clarification about what is an acceptable development for this site it will remain a car park and only after the size of the proposed development is "regulated" will there be any incentive to sell the site. This does not mean there has to be 80 story towers here, possibly something a lot more in keeping with the local area, and also what it can bear given the local services and amenities and current density.

As a final point on this the offset of local open space (losing Leathermarket Gardens to a leisure centre) may sound initially attractive but beggars the qestion why not on the lower floors of the development itself. Losing open green space in central London when it just isn't necessary is trying to cloud the issue in the minds of local people IMHO, and allows the developer again to maximise the use and therfore profit from the site and offer something on another site which it doesn't have to pay for.
Monday 23 February 2009 11.10am
On this shadows topic, will there be any shadow cast immediately to the south of such towers? I had always thought that, in the UK, the sun rises in the east, heads along southwards and westwards, and then sets in the west. So I could see how parts of Wapping/St Katherines Dock might be rather en-shadowed, but presumably Zandra Rhodes's FTM will be OK....?
Monday 23 February 2009 12.29pm
why would we lose Leathermarket Gardens? Seems to me the site is north of them. Am a great fan of this kind of architecture and love the juxtaposition of old and new. Also I think above a certain point height doesn't really matter - if they're 30 or 50 or 80 storeys is pretty irrelevant when you're on the ground. As long as the building looks dramatic and beautiful (which these and the Shard do) I'm happy....
Monday 23 February 2009 12.47pm
AndyABC wrote:
On this shadows topic, will there be any shadow cast immediately to the south of such towers? I had always thought that, in the UK, the sun rises in the east, heads along southwards and westwards, and then sets in the west. So I could see how parts of Wapping/St Katherines Dock might be rather en-shadowed, but presumably Zandra Rhodes's FTM will be OK....?
Yes, it occurred to me that Bermondsey might have drifted into the southern hemisphere, tho I guess in summer the sun sets in the NW and that might block Z. Rhodes' rooftop view of the sunset. Is Bermondsey famous for it's sunset views? But what about the dazzling reflection during the day?
Monday 23 February 2009 3.13pm
From tonight's Evening Standard leader column:

Evening Standard wrote:
A new proposal for The Spires, three enormous tower blocks right by City Hall, is being submitted for approval. It would be hard to justify. The tallest of the three would reportedly offer views of the English Channel; together they would interfere with the Mayor's own views. In a downturn, there is little economic rationale for projects like this; aesthetically, there is even less. Mr Johnson should say no.

Full article

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 23 February 2009 3.39pm
Shaggy the rumoured proposal was for the developer to offer to build a leisure centre on Leathermarket Gardens....to fulfill its social/civic responsibility (i.e. to gain planning approval).
Monday 23 February 2009 4.09pm
thanks urbanite, that would be dreadful but would never happen. Open space is probably the most protected of all. Happy for one to go on their ground floor though....
Monday 23 February 2009 4.33pm
Evening Standard wrote:
In a downturn, there is little economic rationale for projects like this
In a downturn there is little economic rationale for a sentence like this.
Monday 23 February 2009 5.56pm
judging from the way Boris was waxing lyrical about Islamic architecture and design (which i agree is pretty good) in his After Rome show

the planners should maybe come up with something based on moorish Spain
Wednesday 25 February 2009 1.05pm
This is a great opportunity for Southwark. The London Bridge area will be transformed into a high quality are of international standing.

We will be long out of recession by then. Good to build for the upswing now.

This is a huge investment in Southwark. I wish people would be less nimby.
Current: 7 of 17

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions