London SE1 community website

Shardettes/Three Houses/Three Spires [major London Bridge development by Sellar & Herzog & de Meuron]

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 8 of 17
Monday 2 March 2009 1.27pm
I think the developers will make themselves extremely unpopular to even suggest building on existing green space ie Leathermarket Gardens. We'll be looking at what extra green space they're going to be delivering to the community to service their thousands of new residents.
Sunday 8 March 2009 1.17pm
There has been a lot of debate on this thread about the impact of this development on the surrounding area.

For those that aren't familiar with the area, I thought it would be useful to show exactly where the development will be built along with some photos of the current surroundings.

Click on the map below to and then on the red dots to see street-level images. Switch to "Satellite" view to see detail of buildings, etc.

Sunday 8 March 2009 6.10pm
My first thought is "How long until the developers request that St. Thomas be closed and incorporated into these and the Shard?"

My second thought is that the view from my flat, presently of the City, the Gherkin, etc., will be completely blocked by these buildings and the Shard. Glad I don't own it.
Monday 9 March 2009 8.15am
That shaded blue area covers the warehouse that Shunt want to move into, the council block with the newsagents and chinese take-away which has recently had major roof work, the wonderfully shaped old warehouse between Snowsfields and Vinegar Yard and the (rubbish) new-build with the curved front by Hardwidge Street. Are they all to go?
Monday 9 March 2009 8.50am
The buildings will be inside the shaded blue area and won't cover the whole of it, so I think the answer to at least some of those questions is no.

That said, it seems another very unsympathetic proposal.
Monday 9 March 2009 9.26am
also looking at the link MiltonF sent it looks like there's plenty of public open space around them, so negates the idea of building over leathermarket Gardens which realy was never on anyway...think that was more scaremongering than anything.
Monday 9 March 2009 9.40am
The post by london lad in the MiltonF link shows a plan with all the buildings I mentioned gone. That would be a great shame about the old warehouse. I like it otherwise.
Monday 9 March 2009 12.28pm
Laphroaig, you mean Guy's Hospital, tsk tsk.

I see, from the Satellite map that HMS Belfast has been moved inland to the More London walkway.....
Monday 9 March 2009 12.59pm
I thought Laphroag meant St. Thomas street
Current: 8 of 17

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions