London SE1 community website

Lant Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 10 of 15
Wednesday 3 October 2012 9.50pm
Does anybody know what is happening next? The planning committee was supposed to meet on 2nd October, but is listed on Southwark Council's webpage as cancelled.
Monday 29 October 2012 11.21am
Leading law firm Norton Rose has written to the council on behalf of the school:

http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/DocsOnline/Documents/258759_1.pdf

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 19 November 2012 4.06pm
Thought people who are against Lant Street being closed to pedestrians might like to see a photo taken this morning showing how the 'garden' at the Charles Dickens School is being 'used'. The garden, that is, which was meant for the children to play in and one of the reasons why Lant Street was closed to traffic and pedestrians.
Monday 19 November 2012 4.53pm
There must be a reason why all those tables are there, are they re-furbishing the hall? the children need more green space to play in not less :-(
Monday 19 November 2012 9.27pm
The bit of undeveloped land you are showing is just the bit to be made into a garden which is awaiting a decision, so no, it cannot at present be used.
Monday 19 November 2012 9.39pm
Katia wrote:
The bit of undeveloped land you are showing is just the bit to be made into a garden which is awaiting a decision, so no, it cannot at present be used.
That may be, but that is no reason to dump those tables there like that... They could at least tidy it up a bit.
Monday 19 November 2012 11.01pm
This 'bit' of land is actually the bulk of the closed road area. The playground is actually quite a small area in comparison. In January 2013 it will be 4 years since the road was closed and during this time this particular part of the closed area has been variously a dump, a car park, overgrown scrub and neglected land and is an eyesore.
Tuesday 20 November 2012 12.15pm
When I was at primary we used to play football in local school leagues,there were two leagues,big school and small school,I at St Joseph's was in the small school league whereas "Charley Dicks" was in the big schoo; league which was a pain because I never got to play against my mates.As I understood it, while we at St Js had one class per year they had two,twice the pupils yet half the playground size,I thought that strange at the age of 10 so I get the expansion,but what on earth were they thinking with that garden,i'd wager that even with the expansion they still do not have the recreational space that St Js or even next door St Saviours enjoys.
Tuesday 20 November 2012 1.47pm
My understanding is that they are not able to do anything at the moment because their planning permission is not approved. And it has not been approved because some residents oppose it. But what they actually oppose is the closure of the street which had been approved previously...
Tuesday 20 November 2012 2.16pm
Barbara_C wrote:
My understanding is that they are not able to do anything at the moment because their planning permission is not approved. And it has not been approved because some residents oppose it. But what they actually oppose is the closure of the street which had been approved previously...
So they are not allowed to do anything constructive with that particular piece of land, but they are allowed to chuck furniture on it? Or am I missing something?
Current: 10 of 15

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions