London SE1 community website

Lant Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 13 of 15
Friday 19 July 2013 7.27am
Damnit. Why do they do this, again and again!

Don't want to disturb the locals? Big pants on fire.

For the last two weeks, every morning at 7.55am, Charles dickens school people, in the area formally known as public space and LANT street, have been making lots of noise and shouting.
The biscuit this morning, had been taken though. What the devil is that mechanical racket? It sounds like a pneumatic drill against rock. It's hard enough to sleep in this heat wave, and then you get these extremely inconsiderate idiots exploding a noise bomb at our windows.

These people that allowed this latest building works to get planning permission, should be forced to live in our flats, to see what noise this school produces and enforces on us.
Friday 19 July 2013 12.09pm
Under the Control of Pollution Act 1974, the council can impose requirements as to what times noisy work may be carried out, and the methods of work used.
In Southwark these times are:

Monday to Friday - 8am to 6pm
Saturday - 8am to 1pm
Sundays and Bank Holidays - No Working

Permission may be granted for work to take place outside these hours, e.g. Police traffic restrictions, special site works (crane erection etc.), emergencies.

More at http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/412/noise_problems/379/construction_noise/1
Tuesday 30 July 2013 7.39am
tm, you're not funny.

The SHOUTING started at 7.44am this morning (again) and now they have a bloody machine gun-what sounds like one!
Thursday 8 August 2013 7.50am
Anyone else want to stick their paw in the air, if they've been rudely woken up every morning this week, at 7.30am!

Shouting, lorries, high pitched engines running for 20mins, skips and the scraping along the road of such, beep beeping of said skip lorry reversing...
Friday 6 September 2013 10.42am
I have lived in the rise for 6 years.... there has always been noise from the factory area on Pickwick Street, next to Charles dicken Scoool. Often lorries arrive and unload and load at ungodly hours - 5 am, 6am...this involves beeping of the lorry, shouting of the men, and the rattling of their trolly things...and also loud banging - which i think is them breaking polystyrene into pieces - as this is the rubbish i have seen being collected at 5am!!!

This morning, at 0618hrs....the beeping started and i heard someone actually shout at them to stop the damn beeping.....which they did, only to start beeping again at 0645hrs.....

I used to see the fisheries men in the early morning taking deliverires or even having their waste collected in a rubbish waste lorry at silly times like 5am.

This current noise i think comes from the "art" related building? who knows? anyone else annoyed at this? I may likely try contacting the noise people. If anyone nows the name of the businessess involved please let me know....

Caz
Sunday 8 September 2013 6.44pm
Caz the fish factory has been there since my son went to school in the sixties I am sure, and fish does get delivered early..however i would do my pieces if I saw or heard large pieces of polystyrene being broken up,if goes into small breadcrumb like pieces and then birds get it stuck on their beaks or worse. How about environmental health or services?
I sympathise with the early in the morning noise, I get noise from the cyc firm on new kent road, i understand the nature of the work involces deliveries, but like you cant stand the clanging and loud talking by the workmen, especially when its hot and you have the window open. There noise could be from 3.30am. I find sticking my head out of the window and reverting to my cockney roots by shouting shut the **** up or I'll call the police/council helps..and a few more besides..
Friday 27 September 2013 3.50pm
I believe it is also the art business called Ripping Image, as I can see their shutter is open and light is on. They have a fork lift truck that beeps. I know from a description on the web that they do a lot of printing and this morning at 0425hr (!!!) there was a massive rubbish lorry collecting a dustbin cart filled with paper. I have seen this and heard noises from them for the last 6 years. A couple of weeks ago someone shouted their delivery driver to turn off the beeping....so we are not alone in our annoyance.

I have also seen the fishermen, in their yellow wader style outfits wandering around and yes the noise sounds just like polystyrene and i have seens bins filled with that also....I find I can put up with some noise and yes i get that a fishery gets fish delivered very early, but the shouting and cracking and banging is not that welcome.

Caz
Wednesday 30 July 2014 7.44am
So, anyone else actually annoyed by this noise nuisance from the Charles dickens school (again!)?

They want the freehold and the buildings (and lant street land) to be handed over to them.
So if they get that, we can expect (no surprise here) that the 'temporary huts) on lant street land, will no doubt be replaced by brick constructed buildings in the near future.
Before that though, every year, banging, drilling, grinding, shouting, all from 7.30am. Started Saturday and continued weekdays this week.

It matters not that southwark council allows 8am starts, as this is intolerable whatever time.

Anyone else rather woken up and annoyed by these intrusions into our sleep patterns and home (contravenes human rights act) over the years and some specifically again this week (unless stopped, we will continue to get disturbed over August too).

[email protected]
Wednesday 30 July 2014 9.59am
Bloggie wrote:
contravenes human rights act

Although Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights (incorporated into UK law by the Human Rights Act) protects the right to respect for private and family life, home and correspondence and therefore excessive noise pollution, there are no specific human rights laws relating to noise.

Article 8 is a Qualified right, and therefore while it is well-established that excessive noise can interfere with the rights of the Article they have to be proportionate to the aim.

Campaigners have lost cases for aircraft noise disturbance (Hatton v UK, amongst others). The key finding being that the needs of the community as a whole were more important that the individuals.

So yes there is a human rights provision, but it's probably too unwieldy to help. The Noise Act 1996, and the Noise & Statutory Nuisance Act 1993 are more likely your friends here. There difference between the two is how the Environmental Health Officer establish 'statutory nuisance'. In the case of the N&S 1993 Act they must decide if it causes detriment to your health and/or enjoyment of your property or land. This sounds like the case for you. It is Officer judgement, but you should push them to make the correct one; you don't have to accept their first answer.
Wednesday 30 July 2014 2.42pm
Bloggie wrote:
So, anyone else actually annoyed by this noise nuisance from the Charles dickens school (again!)

Have you tried talking to the school? It's in their interests not to annoy their neighbours.

...if you press it, they will come.
Current: 13 of 15

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions