London SE1 community website

Lant Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 14 of 15
Wednesday 30 July 2014 10.18pm
T Monkey, thanks, that's interesting and I know most of that already, but the main difference (as you point out) is the many to the few. A plane in the sky goes over many unknown houses (carrying only a few but presumably counted as many, due to the total number of planes), where as building work that can be carried out any of the day, but is specifically done in the early mornings, is for the benefit of the few and to the detriment of the many.
That it is noise, is immaterial, as it is the unwarranted intrusion into the home that is the issue.

And Ivanhoe, cassie has promised in the past (more than once) that this should not and would not happen again. It matters not that they give excuses like 'we weren't aware', as they are the ones instructing the many (noisy) works in the first place!

Regardless, I know for a fact that I am not alone in bring disturbed by the repeat nuisance, so to others that can be bothered, please email noise control (and contribute to social media forums) to voice your frustration and concerns.
Friday 1 August 2014 7.14am
This morning's rude awakening from 7.30am is hammering from that Charles dickens school. We need to take lant street back off them, they are abusing their use of our land. And it still is 'our land', even though they want to get the freehold given over to them.
Sleep would have been nice.
Friday 1 August 2014 8.41am
Whenever I worked in an affluent area ie: Belsize park or Kensington etc, we couldn't make no noise until after 9am and had to stop by 4pm.
Yesterday I received a phone call from an agency I once worked for, it was a school refurbishment in the Islington area, start time 7am.
Friday 1 August 2014 9.10am
I wwas of the impression that 7:30am is a legal start time. Most people are up looking to head into work but appreciate it can't be much fun if you work shifts.
Friday 1 August 2014 1.48pm
Tolstoy wrote:
I wwas of the impression that 7:30am is a legal start time. Most people are up looking to head into work but appreciate it can't be much fun if you work shifts.

According to Southwark's website, 8am is usually the earliest start up:
"Under the Control of Pollution Act 1974, the council can impose requirements as to what times noisy work may be carried out, and the methods of work used.
In Southwark these times are:

Monday to Friday - 8am to 6pm
Saturday - 8am to 1pm
Sundays and Bank Holidays - No Working

Permission may be granted for work to take place outside these hours, e.g. Police traffic restrictions, special site works (crane erection etc.), emergencies."

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/412/noise_problems/379/construction_noise
Saturday 2 August 2014 12.33am
Roadworks on Southwark Street tonight by TFL - they are not allowed to carry these out during the week, only on Friday night and Saturday morning, apparently.
Tuesday 23 September 2014 9.35am
Hello there

I wonder if local residents have heard about the School's plans to expand.

It is major...with it possibly taking 9 months + building time to complete. Please check the schools website to view the plans - there was a consultation last night at the school - it is concerning how few people attended this.

They plan to erect a building covering almost all of the playground and this building will have an open floor on its roof - the total height in the region of 12 - 15 metres!! This floor will also have canopies at either ends.

There will also be raised (12m high) walkways at either end to and from the main building!

Any comments welcomed!

Caroline
Tuesday 23 September 2014 10.48am
surfcaz wrote:
Hello there
I wonder if local residents have heard about the School's plans to expand.

It is major...with it possibly taking 9 months + building time to complete. Please check the schools website to view the plans - there was a consultation last night at the school - it is concerning how few people attended this.

They plan to erect a building covering almost all of the playground and this building will have an open floor on its roof - the total height in the region of 12 - 15 metres!! This floor will also have canopies at either ends.

There will also be raised (12m high) walkways at either end to and from the main building!

Any comments welcomed!

Caroline

It's amazing how far the school has come. When my children started attending, it was frowned upon, but then then Headteacher, Mrs Owens, turned it around with a lot of love and passion for the pupils and as parents we are grateful for the excellent primary education our children received. I find it hard to be critical of a school that worked so hard to provide children with such a great start to their academic lives in a time before SE1 became "fashionable". The school plays a much more useful and constructive role in the community than many of the (empty) office blocks and hotels being built in the area, so I'd be happy to swap the that construction noise for the school's.
Tuesday 23 September 2014 12.29pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
It's amazing how far the school has come. When my children started attending, it was frowned upon, but then then Headteacher, Mrs Owens, turned it around with a lot of love and passion for the pupils and as parents we are grateful for the excellent primary education our children received. I find it hard to be critical of a school that worked so hard to provide children with such a great start to their academic lives in a time before SE1 became "fashionable". The school plays a much more useful and constructive role in the community than many of the (empty) office blocks and hotels being built in the area, so I'd be happy to swap the that construction noise for the school's.

Edward

It is not the fact that the school has plans to expand, but HOW the school plans to expand. We're all happy to have a school in the neighbourhood.

Myself and a few other residents went along to the consultation meeting held at CD yesterday. I urge everyone who has an interest to consult the plans on the CD website and submit comments to Southwark Council. There will not be another chance to give views until the planning application.

Alternatively, some present yesterday expressed an interest to get together as neighbours and put together comments everyone may have. Please post if you would be interested.

Effectively, most of the current playground will be built over, to a height going up to the 2nd floor of the building. What is now an open space where children can run freely will be replaced by a much smaller courtyard playground, elevated walkways surrounded by railings, and spaces which "will not be for running around" (dixit architects yesterday). A number of people present yesterday were highly sceptical of these plans, which
- will deprive the children of the one bigger open space they have (many children do not get to run in the open outside school); and
- mean there will be substantial building work which will obstruct views and access to sunlight, and bring school noise much closer to the flats surrounding the school once built. The architects have done no study of the noise impact on the surrounding area (coming from a school which most already consider a very noisy neighbour).

My conclusion from yesterday's consultation was that neither the school (headteacher who left shortly past 7pm in the middle of a discussion), nor the architects seemed to have consider the surrounding neighbourhood in their plans.

Also bear in mind the debate surrounding the land on the other side of the building, ss shown in this thread. Residents' comments that it was meant to become a community garden before it was fenced off were not answered yesterday.
Tuesday 23 September 2014 12.35pm
Emilie G wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:

Edward

It is not the fact that the school has plans to expand, but HOW the school plans to expand. We're all happy to have a school in the neighbourhood.

Myself and a few other residents went along to the consultation meeting held at CD yesterday. I urge everyone who has an interest to consult the plans on the CD website and submit comments to Southwark Council. There will not be another chance to give views until the planning application.

Alternatively, some present yesterday expressed an interest to get together as neighbours and put together comments everyone may have. Please post if you would be interested.

Effectively, most of the current playground will be built over, to a height going up to the 2nd floor of the building. What is now an open space where children can run freely will be replaced by a much smaller courtyard playground, elevated walkways surrounded by railings, and spaces which "will not be for running around" (dixit architects yesterday). A number of people present yesterday were highly sceptical of these plans, which
- will deprive the children of the one bigger open space they have (many children do not get to run in the open outside school); and
- mean there will be substantial building work which will obstruct views and access to sunlight, and bring school noise much closer to the flats surrounding the school once built. The architects have done no study of the noise impact on the surrounding area (coming from a school which most already consider a very noisy neighbour).

My conclusion from yesterday's consultation was that neither the school (headteacher who left shortly past 7pm in the middle of a discussion), nor the architects seemed to have consider the surrounding neighbourhood in their plans.

Also bear in mind the debate surrounding the land on the other side of the building, ss shown in this thread. Residents' comments that it was meant to become a community garden before it was fenced off were not answered yesterday.

Thanks for your reply. I could only see this on the CD website. Is there more in-depth info available that I am missing?
Current: 14 of 15

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions