London SE1 community website

Lant Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Current: 15 of 15
Tuesday 23 September 2014 12.50pm
I agree - I was present at the consultation last night.

The 12m high structure will affect a number of residents in The Rise directly as it will block the sun, it will also turn the lovely garden at the back into a dark area.

As it is,the alleyway down there is often frequented by drug users and youths.

I can only imagine what it might be like to have people walking on a walkway above your property, looking into your lounge, especially when on the first or second floors. I realise in London this is a reality for a lot of people, however this is not what we bought into when purchasing 9 years ago. Plus, promises were made when they originally shut the road and took the land, however were never fulfilled.

How many schools do you see with 12m high walkways and play areas...
Tuesday 23 September 2014 1.02pm
surfcaz wrote:
I agree - I was present at the consultation last night.
The 12m high structure will affect a number of residents in The Rise directly as it will block the sun, it will also turn the lovely garden at the back into a dark area.

As it is,the alleyway down there is often frequented by drug users and youths.

I can only imagine what it might be like to have people walking on a walkway above your property, looking into your lounge, especially when on the first or second floors. I realise in London this is a reality for a lot of people, however this is not what we bought into when purchasing 9 years ago. Plus, promises were made when they originally shut the road and took the land, however were never fulfilled.

How many schools do you see with 12m high walkways and play areas...

I see the problem... Probably got carried away with my fond memories of Charles Dickens of yesteryear (how time flies...). I am getting the impression this expansion is purely to accommodate higher numbers, with little regard for the pupils (i.e. the playground issue) as well as local residents. Is that how people who attended the consultation feel? I know that Mrs DeQuincey,who succeeded Mrs Owens, was not that popular with parents because she had a more commercial approach and definitely didn't seem to be as personally involved as Mrs Owens, who knew so many pupils by name. I feel sorry for the pupils now.
Tuesday 23 September 2014 2.59pm
I dont want to comment on whether i think it is good or bad for the pupils. I am all for positive changes for the pupils and like living next to the school (except at weekends!! - see below).

The expension is to accomodate new pupils - 105 i think, 45 of which are already at the school.

However - this appears not so good for neighbouring residents. And the head teacher did not seem too open to understanding or listening to our views.

Extra buldings and space are fine - however i start to have concerns when they are 12 - 15m high with open space quite so high up - we had a look yesterday - the roof area is quite large and would reach the second balcony of the block of flats i live in. Just imagine living on the ground or first floor....your light gone, your view gone, and in its place a rather high building with people walking and pupils running around above you.

There was also the mention of chickens - which is fine as long as there are no Cockerals!

1) they took the road space with no regard for residents views...

2) promised community space that never materialised...

3) and yesterday, walked away mid discussion just because resdents that attended were negative...

4) at weekend the groups that are allowed to use the space are excessively loud and are there for 6 hours - the whole weekend is drowned out in loud singing into microphones, and drumming and children screaming in the playground - both Saturday and Sunday. And some weekday evenings too...i would fear that these groups would then have access to the new space - which is open air...
Tuesday 23 September 2014 4.45pm
quote eDWaRD WooDWaRD]

Thanks for your reply. I could only see this on the CD website. Is there more in-depth info available that I am missing?[/quote]

Edward, apologies, I had not had the time to check what kind of information was available on the CD school website. In addition, I was told yesterday that the photos would be there. I'm surprised that residents are told "All local residents and members of the community are encouraged to attend to view plans and share views" but we are not given the basics to make informed comments.
I'm checking whether the architects (Macreanor Lavington) have more information on their website. If not, we could request the information from Southwark Council. The lady from Southwark Council who was present yesterday (Susan Fuller) was helpful.
Tuesday 23 September 2014 6.22pm
[quote Emilie G]quote eDWaRD WooDWaRD]

Thanks for your reply. I could only see this on the CD website. Is there more in-depth info available that I am missing?[/quote]

Edward, apologies, I had not had the time to check what kind of information was available on the CD school website. In addition, I was told yesterday that the photos would be there. I'm surprised that residents are told "All local residents and members of the community are encouraged to attend to view plans and share views" but we are not given the basics to make informed comments.
I'm checking whether the architects (Macreanor Lavington) have more information on their website. If not, we could request the information from Southwark Council. The lady from Southwark Council who was present yesterday (Susan Fuller) was helpful.[/quote]Thanks, that would be great. I don't know how many posters' children go or used to go to CD under Mrs Owens, DeQuincey and then Cassie Buchanan, but from the latter it wouldn't surprise if she were out of her depth in a meeting, as she seemed out of herdepth as a deputy headteacher, let alone as headteache so I can imagine her walking out of a meeting when the pressure's on.
Tuesday 23 September 2014 9.56pm
The school blog now has additional images about the proposal as well as the contact details of the Southwark project manager.
Friday 26 September 2014 9.02am
Katia, many thanks for drawing our attention to the fact that new pictures had been posted on the CD website.
However, there was one big omission, and that was the plans as presented during the public consultation on Monday 22 September.
For anyone who is interested in seeing the plan, please refer to the "Charles Dickens Primary Expansion" thread.
I have included a link and pasted the plan in.

Any comments welcome. Please give your view, this is an important issue which has not been picked up yet by the majority of people.
Friday 26 September 2014 10.22am
Everyone, please note the following which was posted on the CD school website.
Clearly, a large number of parents have expressed concerns over the plan to build on most of what is now the main playground (thereby in my view depriving the children of the one bigger outside space they have for free play).
However, the plan is still not available on the school website.

"Information Update Design Proposals for New Buildings

Thank you to all the parents who have already had a look at the proposals and given their feedback. If you have not seen the proposals, they are available on the school website . I would like to reassure parents that there will be no overall loss of playspace; the new hall will have a landscaped play and learning space on the roof the same space as below just one floor up from the ground, This new space will be designed to allow more outdoor learning as well as creative play such as den building, play construction, quiet reading and drawing areas and more opportunities to be involved in planting . These activities were voted most popular in pupil surveys and focus groups in July.

There will be a walkway between the new and old building the height of this walkway is anticipated to be 5.5m tall. The height of the new building, including canopy at the southwest end of the building, will be approximately 8.5m.

Posted on September 25, 2014. Read the full blog post here."
Pages:  PreviousFirst...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Current: 15 of 15

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions