London SE1 community website

Lant Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 15
Tuesday 6 January 2009 8.49am
And the Waterloo Wine comment as well Neil;

'blatant theft of public highway..to bring benefit to a limited minority' ..eh?

Charles Dickens school has between 290 and 350 pupils, hardly a minority. It will be wonderful for these children, it's a pity the whole thing has taken to long to come to fruition.

Theft of public highways? Tower Bridge Road/Old Kent Road/Bricklayers arms roundabout come to mind, which in effect created a Berlin type wall to divide communities and ruin many many business's .
Not just a few extra yards walk for us ' elderly and less mobile'

Providing there are large clear signs stating the closure of the road to pedastrians placed at eye level no one would be annoyed by the extra walk involved for such a good and worthy cause.

and 'ere I go again waffling on boring everyone senseless...
Tuesday 6 January 2009 5.08pm
As a parent whose children go to Charles Dickens, and knowing how much time and energy some parents invested in this project, I can only say how chuffed I am.
Jim
Saturday 14 February 2009 10.10am
This was in the Charles Dickens Primary School newsletter

Lant Street Update
Just in case you use the cafe I am letting you know that El Vergel has written to the school complaining about the road closure. We have put up a map showing an alternative route to the cafe. Most of the lunchtime people come from the offices and law courts so I think that they all know the cafe is still there. I have a meeting arranged with the owner which is to smooth over the issue. The road is closed and will stay closed but we do not want bad feeling with our neighbours.

Playground Planning
When planning was given for the development of Lant St , it had certain conditions on it. No permanent structure can be erected, utilities have to have access when necessary, extra play area , garden and multi-purpose sports court for the children. Detailed drawings of this development are being drawn -up and will be shared with planning committee, staff, pupils and parents. There isn't much leeway for change due to planning restrictions and space. All very exciting. We then need to attract funding for this from Southwark and sporting bodies. If anyone has a contact or organisation which may help, please write it down and come and speak to me asap.!

Using Lant St
While all this happens, we have the space! Early Years have been charging up and down on bikes and trikes, Yr 5/6 have had hockey practice there. Now the weather is drier, we shall be using the space for outdoor P.E. as appropriate, with all classes. Please remember to have PE kit in school on the correct day. I think that is all the news on that for now!

Terri de Quincey
Sunday 31 May 2009 12.35pm
As I have posted before I, as well as many other locals, are not happy about the closure of Lant Street. As I live in the flats overlooking the street I have noticed that the closed public thoroughfare of Lant street is now becoming a private car park for people who have got access to the locked gates at either end. I have also noticed that a large piece of waste ground which already belonged to the school (probably bigger in surface area to the whole of the closed street) lies completely wasted and is just a tip for rubbish and more cars. This could have easily have been grassed over and used as a playground. How can the school justify robbing the community of an important and historic street when it uses the space in this way!
Sunday 31 May 2009 1.04pm
I for one agree. One of the most appealing streets in whole area had been ruined, and I too have noticed this patch of waste ground which would surely have been at least as suitable for conversion into a playground.
Sunday 31 May 2009 1.48pm
Thank You Longlaner! do people think there is enough strength of feeling to start a campaign to get the street reopened?
Sunday 31 May 2009 1.58pm
I don't really see that happening. Any suggestion of depriving the children of their play area - never mind that it could be sited elsewhere - would be seen as very hostile, and no local politician/bureaucrat would regard it as anything other than professional suicide to say, "Yes, let's return the street to its pristine condition and forget about this playground."
Sunday 31 May 2009 10.47pm
It's great from up my end. A minor detour is all. Some people are so selfish.
Monday 1 June 2009 6.23am
I just moved to this area. It seems pretty odd that you can't even walk down this street. Surely at least pedestrian access would be OK?
Monday 1 June 2009 7.23am
I'm right next door to the closed street (BHS end) and the jury is still out from my point of view. I miss the old street certainly. It was a really attractive street. However, the closure has stopped it being a bit of a rat run. I also presume that it's still a work in progress, and that the wooden painted barrier will be replaced at some point.

Pedestrian access would be lovely, but (knowing nothing about these things) I imagine would be impossible though a primary school. Maybe a walkway?!?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 15

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions