London SE1 community website

Lant Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 15
Monday 1 June 2009 12.07pm
I'm a resident of Lant street and approve of the closure. Lant street was used a rat run and was dangerous for residents as well as kids coming and going from Charles Dickens school.

I don't think Lant Street has lost any character, the two remaing ends of the street are considerably improved by the closure.

Pedestrian access through a Primary School? Not a good idea. Walk around the block like I have too.

I like and continue to use El Vergal but I'm not sure what they hope to achieve by complaining to the school?

I agree that the sign posting could be better.
Monday 1 June 2009 1.08pm
I'm sure El Vergel get people from offices on Borough High Street - if my office was closer I'd be there every day.

I'm perplexed as to why breaking the road was chosen instead of installing a skywalk with a caged roof.
Monday 8 June 2009 2.15pm
kate love wrote:
As I have posted before I, as well as many other locals, are not happy about the closure of Lant Street. As I live in the flats overlooking the street I have noticed that the closed public thoroughfare of Lant street is now becoming a private car park for people who have got access to the locked gates at either end. I have also noticed that a large piece of waste ground which already belonged to the school (probably bigger in surface area to the whole of the closed street) lies completely wasted and is just a tip for rubbish and more cars. This could have easily have been grassed over and used as a playground. How can the school justify robbing the community of an important and historic street when it uses the space in this way!
I'm not happy about it being closed either. It's actually extremely noisy now. The shouting and screaming is so disturbing and I get no peace in my flat (that overlooks this area) when I take a day off work.
The male teacher that is often out there, screams his head off, which is well out of order.

I note that school wants to make matters worse!!!

quoted from teh already quoted school's newsletter!
Quote:
Using Lant St
While all this happens, we have the space! Early Years have been charging up and down on bikes and trikes, Yr 5/6 have had hockey practice there. Now the weather is drier, we shall be using the space for outdoor P.E. as appropriate, with all classes.
Tuesday 9 June 2009 7.00am
'While all this happens, we have the space!'

This seems to imply that at some point Lant St will be opened up in some form in the future. What are the plans here? There must be some somewhere!

We have similar complaints from tenants where I live about the 'noise' children make. There was a time when it would have been the norm, alas we now prefer they stay indoors out of 'harm's way' and not causing a 'nuisance' to others.

Children. Bells. I guess birds will be next on the list bringing havoc to peoples lives.
Tuesday 9 June 2009 9.37am
Tolstoy wrote:

Children. Bells. I guess birds will be next on the list bringing havoc to peoples lives.

Have you heard the noise Birds Make! I think there should be laws to limit it and they must be enforced:)
Tuesday 9 June 2009 9.47am
In the original proposals (some time ago now) it was suggested that there would be pedestrian access so that everyone could enjoy a new open space, at least after school hours. I guess there may be security issues and other reasons why that couldn't happen. Or maybe it could. Imho Charles Dickens school is much improved from a few years ago.
Tuesday 9 June 2009 10.17am
I'm really impressed that the road has been closed for vehicles to create a safe space for kids to make as much noise as they like but the way this space has been just cut-off totally from public access on security grounds just feels rather OTT and a little bit paranoid as well as being an absolute pain for people living and working around Lant St.
Tuesday 9 June 2009 4.40pm
I agree the hoarding looks pretty ugly and am hoping this is a temporary measure. Time we heard from the school itself. Anyone?

As for birds, yes I'm impressed with the lungs some of them seem to have.I recall watching and un-avoidingly hearing a starling (I think) sitting on a perch opposite the hotel I was staying in during a visit to Belfast, really going for it from about 5am onwards. An incredible experience.
Thursday 11 June 2009 2.14pm
Borough is the oldest borough in London. Surely this road has been a right of way for over a hundred years, so that would mean the just plain cannot block off access to us public. It's our right to continue using this pathway. As for noisy kids, I blame bad parenting and noisy shouty teachers!
Thursday 11 June 2009 2.31pm
Bloggie - the proper procedure for closing a street was followed. See this from the first page of the thread:
James Hatts wrote:
Boris Johnson's deputy mayor, Ian Clement, decided in September that a public inquiry into the stopping up of the street was unnecessary.
See the decision letter and GLA officers' report.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 15

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions