London SE1 community website

Lant Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 15
Thursday 11 June 2009 5.18pm
Does anyone know the origins of the name of this street? Clue- It has something to do with the leather industry.
Thursday 11 June 2009 5.21pm
"Lant" is an old word for urine that's been stored or left to stand, and urine was once collected for use in cleaning hides.
Friday 12 June 2009 8.50am
The estate was owned by the Lant family.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 15 June 2009 9.53am
A consultation paper of the development on the land in front of the school has now been released.

Please note this is not a consultation on whether the space should be a road or a playground. That is now decided, and after experiencing it for a month or so, I'm in favour of it (although I do miss the other side of Lant Street - I am BHS end).

The consultation paper is on the development of the playground. I think I will make the point to see whether there could be a public path/bridge/access around the back.

Hopefully this link works:

http://planningonline.southwarksites.com/planningonline2/AcolNetCGI.exe?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=9532103

If not, its on www.southwark.gov.uk and the number is 09/AP/0992.

Regards
Monday 15 June 2009 10.15am
Could the Victorian railings at present running along Lant Street be re-used/incorporated?
Monday 15 June 2009 10.20am
Lovely idea. They are really nice.

It goes without saying that any response if up to an individual, but here's my thoughts which I sent in (sorry its a bit long):

I am a resident of 56 Lant Street which is adjacent and overlooks Charles Dickens Primary School.

It is a great school and a good neighbour.

The closure of the road to create the playground has caused issues. The major issue is that it has severed the street in two. There is no car or more importantly public access from one end to the other. It is correct that you can walk around, but it was a very pleasant street to walk down and this wonderful street has been substantially changed by the road closure. In addition, the Borough High Street end of Lant Street is still sometimes used as a short-cut for people wishing to get onto Marshalsea Road and not wanting to use the main intersection.

That said, I am in favour of the school extending it's playground as it has done. I support the application as described in the notice, subject to the following comments. In relation to how the newly extended playground should be adapted, my views are that:

a) The existing playground is excellent and is a model for other schools.
b) That said, there is something great for children about having simply space to run around in without the necessity for climbing frames, etc.
c) The piece of waste land that used to run along side the road was being converted into a green space. I do not know if this has been completed as you cannot see anything with the hoardings up. However, some green space for the school would be excellent.

I would also like to add that this school is part of the community and the community should also benefit from this development (particularly given it was a road beforehand). Taking into account appropriate safety measures, I would like to see:

a) The ability for passers by to see and appreciate the area in general, and particularly any green space.
b) Any green space being accessible by local residents.

Most importantly it should be feasible for a design to be created (without compromising safety or security of the children) whereby it is possible to traverse from one end of Lant Street to the other using the area without having to go around it. This could be a dedicate path around or over the area, and it would be particularly pleasant to walk along a street which isn't congested with traffic. I am sure that many local people and businesses would support this.

I am not sure of the intention as regards where the entrance. Is it still proposed that the existing entrance on Toulmin Street should continue to be the only entrance. If so, I think that is appropriate. I would be most against either end of the school grounds on Lant Street itself being an entrance. This would cause a considerable increase in traffic to a small road that has been made smaller by the closer and already has its limitations with traffic. In particular, the Borough High Street end of Lant Street can get blocked by just a couple of cars parked there. If there were a gate for children to be dropped off then this area would become impossible to use.
Thursday 23 July 2009 8.19pm
Am I right in thinking that there was a meeting at Charles Dickens School this evening?
According to a notice purporting to represent the local TRA it was a "last chance to raise objections"
Did anyone go?
It's rather worrying when someone claims to have the support of the majority of local residents in their objections and in fact has nothing of the kind.
Tuesday 15 September 2009 8.49pm
JayBee wrote:
Am I right in thinking that there was a meeting at Charles Dickens School this evening?
According to a notice purporting to represent the local TRA it was a "last chance to raise objections"
Did anyone go?
It's rather worrying when someone claims to have the support of the majority of local residents in their objections and in fact has nothing of the kind.

have just seen this post. I didn't know about that meeting, they did not advertise it to everyone.
have just got a letter today dated a week ago, that there is a meeting about the school on the 17th! nothing like virtually no notice.
Tuesday 15 September 2009 10.43pm
Just to assist - the meeting on the 17th is the Borough and Bankside Community Council Planning meeting which will consider the deferred planning application.

The meeting is actually being held at 56 Southwark Bridge Road as it was felt that holding it at the school would not be appropriate.

Tim

Cllr Tim McNally
LibDem Member for Chaucer Ward
Executive Member for Resources
Southwark Council
07903 967 809
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 15

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions