London SE1 community website

Southwark Bridge Road Water main

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
jw
Thursday 8 January 2009 11.25pm
Hi,

Did anyone notice that a water main seems to have burst recently?

The reason I am asking is that the council fixed the problem and then gritted the road, but only gritted Southwark Bridge Road but not Sturge Street behind.

As a result I came flying off my scooter the other day as I turned into Sturge Street as it was covered in black ice - there was no hope for me.

My bike is badly damaged and I am trying to reclaim some money from the council for this. The roads weren't icy at all and i was of course driving with care, but this was impossible to avoid. A local builder saw it happened and helped me out but in my state I didn't take a number.

If anyone else can back me up about the water main and the ice etc.. that would be great if I need it with the council.

Thank you
Friday 9 January 2009 12.09am
Yes, I walked down Sawyer Street towards Lant Street on Tuesday afternoon at about 4pm and I noticed a torrent of water all round the bend into Sturge Street outside the entrance to the British School of Osteopathy treatment centre.

A burst water main would be a Thames Water matter rather than a council one, though.

Is Southwark Bridge Road a TfL road? If so, any gritting would be a matter for them.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
jw
Friday 9 January 2009 7.34am
Hi James,

Thanks for that. I am pleased you saw it as well. It was turning from Sawyer Street into Sturge Street that I had the accident.

After the main was fixed they saw it fit to grit Southwak Bridge Road but not Sturge Street. It was so dangerous.

I think the gritting of the road, specially Sturge Street, comes under the council's transport department. That is who I have been referred to and asked to fill out a claims form detailing what happened.

Would I be able to call on you if I need any backup??
jw
Sunday 11 January 2009 10.28am
Is anyone else able to help? NEed as much backup as I can get I think with this.

Thanks
Monday 12 January 2009 5.49pm
Yes, I cycle that way every day and could vouch for it. There was still a sign of a leak this morning.

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions