London SE1 community website

Amano

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Thursday 15 January 2009 9.17pm
Shame about Amano. I was often to be found there sunk deep into a leather sofa, with a coffee and/or a glass of wine and/or pizza, doing all my internetting on their wifi. The best die young. Why couldn't we lose Starbucks instead?
Friday 16 January 2009 9.08am
Because Amano was closed I went to Leon. I liked the Amano flat breads very much, but Leon was a bit of a dissapointment. I had a halumi cheese wrap. It was a huge fat thing wrapped in foil and paper. Inside the filling was wrapped in a kind of luke warm soft but tasteless pancake. How are you supposed to eat it??! Most of the filling was a generic crunchy salad. The halumi cheese was nice, but nothing to get excited about.
Friday 16 January 2009 11.03am
I had a wrap in Leon once. It was frozen inside, so I returned it. Got it back 5 minutes later - still frozen inside. It was very busy, but come on. I don't mean to spread doom, but on that piece of land adjacent to bankside 123 m&s they were supposed to build some kind of permanent exhibition room. This was abandoned, and there was going to be a park instead, but it never materialised. The offices in that building are stil empty an unfurnished, as are the reatil units - I have visions of a Ghostown. At least that piece of land could be used by BOST.
Tuesday 20 January 2009 2.04pm
Spotted this morning: a little electric powered Amano delivery van in Borough High Street.

Ian
Tuesday 20 January 2009 2.58pm
The leases on two of the big blocks at Bankside were taken by RBS last year (and I think they're currently being fitted out?) so, in the light of the current newsfeed, it might be interesting to see what becomes of all that....
Tuesday 20 January 2009 10.12pm
Well I certainly wont miss Amano - terrible slow service and average food - if the current economic climate weeds out the poor performing businesses, then its a good thing
Tuesday 20 January 2009 10.25pm
...that piece of land adjacent to bankside 123 m&s they were supposed to build some kind of permanent exhibition room.

The site was originally earmarked for an exciting building to house the Architecture Foundation by the architect Zaha Hadid, that fell through due to the early signs of market downturn. The 'park' (I think it was only intended to be greened out) was little more than a stop gap before finding a new use and it would seem that even this has now failed along with the rest of this 'regeneration' scheme. So what now with two empty tower blocks and a goodly collection of retail units? I wonder how much longer Oliver Bonas can survive there on the meagre pedestrian traffic.
Tuesday 20 January 2009 11.37pm
boroughmark wrote:
Well I certainly wont miss Amano - terrible slow service and average food - if the current economic climate weeds out the poor performing businesses, then its a good thing

very charitable I'm sure all the staff who lost their
jobs don't share your opinion.
Wednesday 21 January 2009 2.12pm
Whilst my condolences go out to the ex-Amano staff, this is a discussion forum not a therapy session. As I've said on this forum before, IMO some of the Amanos were executed in a pretty amateur fashion. I'm sure the staff will find another job, hopefully at somewhere with a better focus on customers. The remaining Amano kiosk in Potters Fields seems to be much better run and have a much better menu.
Wednesday 21 January 2009 4.51pm
Land Securities suffers growing retail tenant defaults - Property Week

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions