London SE1 community website

Birds in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Saturday 17 January 2009 1.16pm
Philpotts24 wrote:
As a Yorkshireman who goes misty eyed when he sees the occasional 'Heartbeat' and saw the Beatles aged 14, it is so 'cool' to sit in Leathermarket Gardens and hear/see the wildlife.....excluding the human visitors from foreign fields.

I fervently hope that you will take this in the light hearted manner that is intended, but as someone born in Camberwell, raised in Peckham and living in Bermondsey, I would view a Yorkshireman as a visitor from foreign fields, however long you have been in civilisation down here!
Sunday 18 January 2009 4.29pm
Quite a lot of finches here in Bermondsey

And also a woodpecker that's a regular visitor to the feeders

Sunday 18 January 2009 4.40pm
lovely pics.
Monday 19 January 2009 8.26am
They are smashing photos martinr thank you for sharing them.:-)
Monday 19 January 2009 10.11am
Great photos
I am in SE15 - and work in SE1 - we have loads of birds in our little London garden since we put in a water feature and planted lots of shrubs and bushes...
I also do a lot of feeding... more when it is freezing
8 blackbirds is our record
20 or so sparrows
a robin
pied wagtail
finches of all types
tits of all types
starlings
a wren
a brief visit from a woodpecker once (what do they eat?)
even a sparrow hawk dive bombing the sparrows
wood pigeons (we call the big one the fat controller)
feral pigeons which we chase away when we see them
jays
magpies
and crows in the big trees
I fear the arrival of seagulls..... they are spreading fast
I am so sad I often sit at breakfast with my binoculars!
Sue
Monday 19 January 2009 10.37am
Sue-no sadder than me, I sit on my lavatory with my binoculars peering through the gap at the bottom of the window!

I don't think I have ever seen any birds like martinr in our patch. The first time I saw a greater spotted woodpecker the colours were so bright I thought it was a carrier bag blown into the tree, lovely birds .
Monday 19 January 2009 1.03pm
re Seagulls

i have fed Seagulls from an 8th storey window in EC1

you just start tossing small pieces of bread into the air - they soon start circling the building and you can watch close up (maybe ten to twenty feet away) their amazing aerial acrobatics as they effortlessly catch every piece no matter how difficult - its like watching a wildlife documentary

of course feeding probly only encourages them so you might not want to try it if they arent already regular visitors
Monday 19 January 2009 1.31pm
Sue-Borough wrote:
I also do a lot of feeding... more when it is freezing

I once read that it's also important to provide plenty of feed in the late spring when the chicks are hatching. The parents are using up all their energy finding insects for the young so if they can come to a feeder and get hassle free high energy food (such as nuts & seeds) it really helps keep them going.

A while ago a heron flew into the garden. It caused quite a stir amongst the other birds which started to mob it and eventually it flew off. I guess it must have come from the Rotherhithe area.
Monday 19 January 2009 2.11pm
As far as I know MartinR is right - the RSPB recommend feeding all year but especially in the spring when the chicks are demanding food. As for the heron... I live next door to MartinR & it ate most of the fish in my pond !
Tuesday 20 January 2009 3.35pm
sarahse1 wrote:
I live next door to MartinR & it ate most of the fish in my pond !

At least that wasn't the cat !

If anyone's interested this weekend is the "RSPB Garden Birdwatch". Basically you just have to count the number of birds of each type that visit your garden in a one hour period. You then submit your results online - it helps the RSPB estimate the populations / geographical spread of different bird species. There's some more information here:

www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions