London SE1 community website

Birds in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Wednesday 21 January 2009 6.26pm
was looking at the photos above with jealousy and then this morning saw the woodpecker on my feeders (it was eating fat balls by the way Sue). Was there for about fifteen minutes and was very exciting.
Friday 6 February 2009 10.59am
Just saw a goldcrest in my backgarden (longley street). Keep your eyes peeled for rare birds coming into gardens due to the cold snap.
Friday 6 February 2009 1.26pm
There's also an albino pigeon in the area. I've spotted it several times in the past week.
Friday 6 February 2009 8.50pm
What's the difference between an albino pigeon & a dove ? Lot's of the neighbours have seen him (me too this afternoon) - he'll get lost in the snow !
Saturday 7 February 2009 1.33pm
I guess an albino would have pink eyes? - doves have dark eyes.

It might also be wearing shades as albino's have poor eyesight in the sun
Saturday 7 February 2009 3.33pm
As far as I know the white doves that magicians use are white ringneck doves. But pigeons are rock doves -a different species (although same family). I stand to be corrected but that's how I understood it. Ringneck doves are slightly smaller than feral pigeons. This one however is the same size as the other pigeons.

Here's a couple of pics:

Tuesday 10 February 2009 10.12pm
We were very surprised to see a bird of prey in the silver birch next door last autumn. the pic is very poor compared to the efforts of martinr but if anyone is interested to see it PM me. Daily we have lovely 'proper pigeons' (wood pigeons? - they nest in the palm trees), very fierce blackbirds (they will fight off the pigeons when protecting their young in the conifer). Sadly the squirrels tend to get the bird food first.
Wednesday 11 February 2009 1.38pm
I don't want undermine SE1s reputation as a haven for stange animals - but I believe the bird shown is not an albino but a naturally white fantail pigeon.
Wednesday 11 February 2009 4.10pm
palerider wrote:
I don't want undermine SE1s reputation as a haven for stange animals - but I believe the bird shown is not an albino but a naturally white fantail pigeon.

That sounds exciting. I've never heard of fantail pigeons before. Are they common ?
Thursday 12 February 2009 9.00am
Could it have escaped from Albin & Sons funeral home? I think they release them at funerals & they are supposed to fly back to the dovecote - maybe this one made a bid for freedom ?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions