London SE1 community website

Birds in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Thursday 15 January 2009 11.42am
Robin, wren, jay, sparrow, horrible black crow-y things, and big fat pigeons the size of houses can often be seen when standing in the drawing room of Ivanhoe Towers and looking out over the estate.

I keep telling Mellors to ignore them and concentrate on getting the grouse numbers up, but I suspect he's got a fondness for tits that diverts him.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 15 January 2009 12.16pm
Had a Yellow Wagtail in my garden in Reverdy Road last week for the first time since I've been there. The cold snap has definately bought the birds out. We also have wrens, blackbird, sparrows, bluetits & robins so I feel quite blessed !
Thursday 15 January 2009 12.47pm
Sarah - thanks for your post - I now feel a bit of an idiot. What I had assumed were greenfinches were in fact yellow wagtails - never heard of them before but a look on the RSPB website assumes I have been wrong for some months (and perhaps a bit colour blind!)
Thursday 15 January 2009 3.59pm
Last year we had a woodpecker nesting next to our Community Allotments on Manciple Street - hopefully they'll be back this year
Thursday 15 January 2009 7.22pm
A lovely Robin in Leathermarket Gardens who seems quite chummy, tho' he won't feed from the hand. He let's one get up quite close and a tad personal :)
Thursday 15 January 2009 8.09pm
Folks may enjoy this site:

http://www.10x50.com/sounds.htm
Thursday 15 January 2009 8.47pm
Isn't it amazing, with all the costly forms of entertainment, we are all so excited by seeing a robin? I felt so privileged to see a wren on my balcony last week and because it couldn't see me through the glass, I was able to watch it for ages. We have a variety of birds in our garden on The Cut, along with a rather cheeky squirrel. When I am gathering fallen leaves, I am often followed - at very close quarters - by a blackbird hoping I have uncovered something tasty. When I stop for a break, I get a very impatient look!
Thursday 15 January 2009 8.57pm
I grew up in the country so was always used to seeing a rich variety of birds visiting our extensive garden/vegetable patch, and three apple trees.

Much though I enjoy feeding the tits that come to my window balcony, watching them crash into each other and taking it in turns to sit on the telephone line opposite, its hardly the same. A robin can often be seen hoping about and certainly heard (they're not quiet birds) on a walk down Union St, toward BHS.
Friday 16 January 2009 1.06pm
Thanks for that link, Tolstoy.

Yes, Karen I - simple pleasures, missed by those who cannot walk further than a yard without a mobile blackcurrent glued to their ears :p

As a Yorkshireman who goes misty eyed when he sees the occasional 'Heartbeat' and saw the Beatles aged 14, it is so 'cool' to sit in Leathermarket Gardens and hear/see the wildlife.....excluding the human visitors from foreign fields.
Saturday 17 January 2009 12.59pm
'foreign fields'?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions