London SE1 community website

[email protected]

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 2 of 10
Wednesday 28 January 2009 1.39am
The soup was good.
Wednesday 28 January 2009 8.23am
I don't know; every time I went in there it was very busy, so obviously some people liked the coffee and the ambiance. I have a soft spot for it because I went in there every day for a couple of weeks until I got internet service to my flat, when I first moved to SE1. There was one very nice guy who worked there.
Wednesday 28 January 2009 11.03am
I always had good service at bermondsey st. they often offered to make me a coffee if mine wasn't dry enough. but I suppose coffee can be quite subjective and some people will be used to a different blend.

However personal tastes aside, they served organic, fair trade coffee and although not cheap their food was good quality and healthy and the staff gave the place an individual character.

you may or may not like that character but it was there.
Wednesday 28 January 2009 11.22am
Jimbob, do you seriously prefer the street without it. Think its a great shame as it livened up a pretty dead part of the street. I used it regularly and thought the staff were generally pretty good. I can't understand when people take delight it failing businesses - I wonder how many of those that moan have ever tried to run their own business. Its certainly not easy - with or without the current market. I say good riddance to people who just bleat about why this or that isn't good enough....
Wednesday 28 January 2009 12.32pm
I didn't use it often but when I did the staff were helpful and friendly, if occasionally a bit spaced. But I thought it was a nice feature on the street, loved the fact that it did fair trade/organic produce, and the handwritten chalkboard messages outside often made me grin. Having said which, I agree with the point about the loud music.
Wednesday 28 January 2009 3.16pm
has it definitely closed?

i really liked it! quirky little trendy coffee shop just the kind of thing that makes bermondsey street so nice!
Wednesday 28 January 2009 11.00pm
it was craaap. all wank and no substance (same could be said for a lot of bermondsey street)

what got me was that they pertain to be eco friendly by using recycled+recyclable packaging, but even if you were ordering your coffee/food to stay you got in on disposable plates/cups.

apart from that they all thought they were too damn cool for school but their coffee was crap, the service was useless and the place was filthy! what a waste of a fantastic space, and a fantastic opportunity!
Wednesday 28 January 2009 11.56pm
I passed it today and it seemed to be open...

I have mixed feelings about the place. Its coffee isn't great and the service is a bit hit-and-miss. Plus it's a rather gloomy, uncosy space. But I suppose it's better than nothing. And it does sell Laura's Idea desserts.

One day I will open a coffee shop in this area and it will be the epitome of loveliness. Just you wait.
Thursday 29 January 2009 6.34am
someone should let the Monmouth or Sobo people know the space is available...in the current climate they could get the place for pennies and we could get decent coffee.
Thursday 29 January 2009 8.36am
boroughpaul wrote:
in the current climate they could get the place for pennies

I rather doubt this.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 2 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions