London SE1 community website

[email protected]

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 5 of 10
Friday 30 January 2009 12.08pm
Laphroaig wrote:
Just went in on my way back from some errands (and to use up a completed "frequent coffee" card I had). Prince on the sound system, a couple of customers on computers, and a couple of clerks. I mentioned how nice it was to see them open again, ordered and handed in my card, and left a tip. While waiting for my coffee, I noticed a chalkboard sign saying "Americans now welcome X X". Hmm.
After I received my coffee, I asked the clerks "What does that sign mean?" They both stared at it for a minute, then said "Oh, it's just a joke. Because of the election." I said "So Americans are only welcome here depending on who the President is?" Silence. "Because I'm not aware of any Brits not being served in the US because of Gordon Brown." Silence. "I find it really offensive." "It's meant to be a joke." "Well, I find it really offensive." Silence. "But I guess my opinion doesn't matter, since I'm just a customer." Silence. I left.

Yeah, I know, typical American with no sense of humor, and I admit I find this particular joke very unfunny. But come on, the election was in early November. Give it a rest.

What was it that you actually found offensive, the suggestion that the last president of america was an idiot?
They clearly made you feel welcome enough before for you to have used up a frequent coffee card
Maybe brits do get served in america despite or becuase of our prime minister, but there have also been a bunch of brits in guantanamo bay for some time and some people say not all of them are guilty.... Get a grip
Friday 30 January 2009 12.32pm
Poor George Dubya,he will surely go down in the annals
of history as the most misunderestimated(sic) of presidents. Guilty of crimes against the English language.
Friday 30 January 2009 12.43pm
indie wrote:
Laphroaig wrote:
Just went in on my way back from some errands (and to use up a completed "frequent coffee" card I had). Prince on the sound system, a couple of customers on computers, and a couple of clerks. I mentioned how nice it was to see them open again, ordered and handed in my card, and left a tip. While waiting for my coffee, I noticed a chalkboard sign saying "Americans now welcome X X". Hmm.
After I received my coffee, I asked the clerks "What does that sign mean?" They both stared at it for a minute, then said "Oh, it's just a joke. Because of the election." I said "So Americans are only welcome here depending on who the President is?" Silence. "Because I'm not aware of any Brits not being served in the US because of Gordon Brown." Silence. "I find it really offensive." "It's meant to be a joke." "Well, I find it really offensive." Silence. "But I guess my opinion doesn't matter, since I'm just a customer." Silence. I left.

Yeah, I know, typical American with no sense of humor, and I admit I find this particular joke very unfunny. But come on, the election was in early November. Give it a rest.

What was it that you actually found offensive, the suggestion that the last president of america was an idiot?
They clearly made you feel welcome enough before for you to have used up a frequent coffee card
Maybe brits do get served in america despite or becuase of our prime minister, but there have also been a bunch of brits in guantanamo bay for some time and some people say not all of them are guilty.... Get a grip

Not convinced indie; stereotyping by nationality is either right or wrong. Genuine question: would you tell someone to 'get a grip' if they were offended by a sign reading "Chinese now welcome" or "Zimbabweans now welcome" ?
Friday 30 January 2009 12.47pm
Laphroiag, I'm afraid the boorishness on display in this thread is pretty commonplace now in this country. Too bad, but character is destiny. Bottom line - some think the [email protected] snark is funny because it confirms their politics, others think it's pathetic and ill-mannered. As one of the latter who's also had poor coffee in Bermondsey Street and Brick Lane branches, I'm relaxed to see [email protected] retrench. But for those who like snark with their croissant, well enjoy. I prefer jam.
Friday 30 January 2009 1.14pm
Ah its the age old polemic use of the A board as vechile for anti-American realpoiltik

seriously there is way more anti-American sentiment on our televisions daily,from commentators,comedians etc.to get offended over.I personally find it mildly amusing.

this has always been my favourite anti bush comment

http://www.hinterding.net/bilder/trust_bush.jpg
Friday 30 January 2009 2.32pm
I personally am not offended by the 'joke' [altho' it hardly warrants the label].
BUT it has the potential to cause offence to any one of the millions of Americans who voted (twice) for George W and might rock up for a coffee in SE1. Maybe they made a poor choice of President but they're entitled to think that he was the guy for the job. Their choice was therefore no more or less valid than anyone who didn't vote for George W. and NO-ONE is entitled to make them feel uncomfortable about it, particularly any establishment which requires customers' cash to stay in business!! This is no better than going into a pub in Wales and suddenly everyone in the place starts speaking Welsh, which happened to me (an Englishwoman) several times when I was with my Welsh boyfriend.
So unless there's any chance that you'll never be offended by anything, trying putting yourself in the other person's shoes before you decide what is and isn't funny or offensive. If people, did this a bit more often, London (and the rest of the world) might be a friendlier/happier place.
Friday 30 January 2009 3.21pm
I'm Welsh and you just offended me "Diolch yn fawr"
Friday 30 January 2009 3.25pm
Jonathan K wrote:
indie wrote:
Laphroaig wrote:

Not convinced indie; stereotyping by nationality is either right or wrong. Genuine question: would you tell someone to 'get a grip' if they were offended by a sign reading "Chinese now welcome" or "Zimbabweans now welcome" ?

If the Chinese or Zimbaabweans are proud of the dictatorship that their countries have lived under the I would imagine they may be offended. It's a matter of global / social awareness, if you're going to take offence at how your country is perceived then you shouldn't leave your own country if you're easily offended as you'll probably come across someone or something that conflicts with your thoughts

I wasn't suggesting that stereotyping was in any way right or wrong, but each country / culture is open to ridicule, stiff upper lip, cup of tea, fish and chips, bad teeth etc etc those americans are so mean to us for thinking these things, don't they know we're all individuals

Being offended by someone or a sign intimating that your country has made mistakes is way too precious, so I think "get a grip" is / was apt
Friday 30 January 2009 3.37pm
Some people here appear to be suggesting that good natured banter or joking about is immediately offside if it even has the *potential* to be offensive. That would be ridiculous, and another crazy product of these introspective, self-conscious times in which we live.

Anyway, back to the point. [email protected] is still with us, and I think that's a good thing. Two businesses have already bitten the dust on Bermondsey Street in the past few months - Kalmars and the FTM cafe - so a third casualty would have been a very bad sign. Obviously this whole credit crunch thing has got a bit further to go, but we should all be trying to support these local businesses as much as we can (regardless of the quality of their "jokes").
Friday 30 January 2009 3.39pm
it is (was) a cafe surely and not some kind of political club...and btw the coffee sucked
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 5 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions