London SE1 community website

[email protected]

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 6 of 10
Friday 30 January 2009 4.04pm
AndyABC wrote:
. Obviously this whole credit crunch thing has got a bit further to go, but we should all be trying to support these local businesses as much as we can (regardless of the quality of their "jokes").

I would rather see [email protected] in business, than an empty unit but credit crunch or not I only support local businesses if they offer what i want at the quality i want. Not just because they are local. So personally i rarely buy coffee out locally because i can make a pretty good cup of coffee myself at home in most styles. But i have been in [email protected] one or twice and the coffee in my opinion was average, neither bad nor particularly good.
Friday 30 January 2009 4.34pm
AndyABC wrote:
Some people here appear to be suggesting that good natured banter or joking about is immediately offside if it even has the *potential* to be offensive. That would be ridiculous, and another crazy product of these introspective, self-conscious times in which we live.
Anyway, back to the point. [email protected] is still with us, and I think that's a good thing. Two businesses have already bitten the dust on Bermondsey Street in the past few months - Kalmars and the FTM cafe - so a third casualty would have been a very bad sign. Obviously this whole credit crunch thing has got a bit further to go, but we should all be trying to support these local businesses as much as we can (regardless of the quality of their "jokes").


Why must we "be trying to support these local businesses as much as we can"? I've been to [email protected] several times and was never impressed with their offering. Should I continue to go and have an unpleasant experience just because they're local? I think not! I'll choose to spend my money wherever I wish.

It's the job of the entrpreneur to come up with a successful business plan and entice people in to spend their dosh. It is not my responsibility as a local resident to prop up an enterprise simply because its a local business.


And to the thin-skinned 'Merican who was offended by a poor attempt at humour...it wasn't that long ago that french restaurants were going out of business, french wines were taken off restaurant menus, and good old fashioned "french" (or is it "freedom") fries were virtually outlawed in the USofA. I have to wonder whether you were so quick to speak your mind about the insult this may have caused people of French nationality.
Friday 30 January 2009 4.35pm
My biggest gripe with [email protected] is that I once tried to pick up a 2 coin on the floor by the counter, and was grappling with it until I realised it had been superglued down (another "joke", I'm sure). I'm all for businesses living and dying on their own merits, but if we could just support [email protected] at least until some other cool businesses move into the neighbourhood that would be greatly appreciated. Empty units don't really bring much to the street....
Friday 30 January 2009 4.37pm
AndyABC wrote:

I think it's offside if (a) it's designed to provoke and (b) you can be exposed to it inadvertently.

For example, the Christians who objected to "Jerry Springer, The Opera" didn't have to go and see it, they could readily avoid the offence. I frequently go to comedy gigs and know that I should reasonably anything and anyone to be comedy fair game. However, I don't expect to walk into a coffee shop and have my politics (or, for that matter, my sexuality, skin colour, hair colour, dress sense, musical tastes, size, shape etc.) called into question. Fundamentally, the proprietors of [email protected] ... have no right to assume that I share their sense of humour, or their sense of outrage at George W's election/the Zimbabwean dictatorship/the Iraq war/who won Masterchef or the X Factor.
Friday 30 January 2009 4.40pm
and - btw - the Earl Grey tea with soya milk was one of the most disgusting things I ever tasted, which is why I've only been there once!!
plus, it was too dark inside for me to see what joke's they'd written up ;)
Friday 30 January 2009 4.41pm
that should be "what jokes they'd written up"
apologies for the apostrophe catastrophe
Friday 30 January 2009 4.51pm
We should support local businesses that deserve supporting, not local businesses period. There are plenty of dire operations in the area - see other threads, such as the one on good/bad customer service - and IMHO [email protected] was one of these. The sad thing is when good local businesses, such as the deli at the corner of Long Lane and Wild's Rents or The Old School Yard, don't get the custom they deserve.
Friday 30 January 2009 5.00pm
McQueen wrote:
AndyABC wrote:

I think it's offside if (a) it's designed to provoke and (b) you can be exposed to it inadvertently.

For example, the Christians who objected to "Jerry Springer, The Opera" didn't have to go and see it, they could readily avoid the offence. I frequently go to comedy gigs and know that I should reasonably anything and anyone to be comedy fair game. However, I don't expect to walk into a coffee shop and have my politics (or, for that matter, my sexuality, skin colour, hair colour, dress sense, musical tastes, size, shape etc.) called into question. Fundamentally, the proprietors of [email protected] ... have no right to assume that I share their sense of humour, or their sense of outrage at George W's election/the Zimbabwean dictatorship/the Iraq war/who won Masterchef or the X Factor.

I'm pretty sure they aren't assuming that you have the same sense of humour as them, they probably hope you might and probably hope it lightens your day a little, nothing more sinister than that I'd expect

Too many people are outraged about about things they've neither seen or heard... lets ban all signs just in case someone sees one that they don't agree with !
Friday 30 January 2009 5.02pm
AndyABC wrote:
if we could just support [email protected] at least until some other cool businesses move into the neighbourhood that would be greatly appreciated. Empty units don't really bring much to the street....

My translation software keeps reading that as: "it brings down the house prices". Is there any fix for this, anyone?

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 30 January 2009 5.13pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
AndyABC wrote:
if we could just support [email protected] at least until some other cool businesses move into the neighbourhood that would be greatly appreciated. Empty units don't really bring much to the street....

My translation software keeps reading that as: "it brings down the house prices". Is there any fix for this, anyone?

Thats a bit harsh, empty properties both residential and commercial, not only bring down house prices they, increase crime and generally make the area feel less save and a less pleasant place to be.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 6 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions