London SE1 community website

[email protected]

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 7 of 10
Friday 30 January 2009 5.14pm
House prices will be going down a whole load more yet, so I don't think worrying about that is going to help. I would just prefer not to live in a ghost town, that's all. Anyway, I quite like [email protected], although maybe that's because I don't drink coffee (I always get the soft drinks) and it always seems pretty busy, so I guess I'm not alone.
Friday 30 January 2009 9.01pm
indie wrote:
McQueen wrote:
AndyABC wrote:

I think it's offside if (a) it's designed to provoke and (b) you can be exposed to it inadvertently.

For example, the Christians who objected to "Jerry Springer, The Opera" didn't have to go and see it, they could readily avoid the offence. I frequently go to comedy gigs and know that I should reasonably anything and anyone to be comedy fair game. However, I don't expect to walk into a coffee shop and have my politics (or, for that matter, my sexuality, skin colour, hair colour, dress sense, musical tastes, size, shape etc.) called into question. Fundamentally, the proprietors of [email protected] ... have no right to assume that I share their sense of humour, or their sense of outrage at George W's election/the Zimbabwean dictatorship/the Iraq war/who won Masterchef or the X Factor.

I'm pretty sure they aren't assuming that you have the same sense of humour as them, they probably hope you might and probably hope it lightens your day a little, nothing more sinister than that I'd expect

Too many people are outraged about about things they've neither seen or heard... lets ban all signs just in case someone sees one that they don't agree with !

but the point is, indie, Laphroig did see it because it was something stuck up in a wholly public place, not some private club where you might reasonably expect the other members to be on the same (or a similar) "page" to you. If the boys in a gentleman's club, or the audience of a Roy Chubby Brown gig, want to trade sexist jokes with each other - fine: I'm not going to be there to hear them. But if they're going to be plastered on the wall where I could be buying a cup of coffee - no.

Seriously, I reckon the vast majority of posters in this discussion don't have a problem with the "joke" because it's having a pop at Americans. But what if the "joker" who chalked it up had written "Al Quaeda now welcome". Why would that be in any more poor taste than having a go at an entire nation, regardless of their political colour.
Friday 30 January 2009 9.59pm
All sorts of things are offensive to one person, and funny to the next. IMHO stopping freedom of expression is a whole lot more dangerous road down which to travel than the presence of a sign that might offend.
Friday 30 January 2009 10.18pm
Here here kenhaynes!

And to be perfectly honest, and you can flame me all you like - there has rarely been a man more deserving of ridicule than the ex-President of America, with the people who voted him in for a second term coming a close second.
Friday 30 January 2009 10.18pm
I'm glad I go to the Village Deli!
Saturday 31 January 2009 12.04pm
Getting back to Laphroaig's original complaint, surely the point is that someone in business can indeed put up whatever sign they want in their own shop. If you and I don't like their humour or their politics (or their coffee) then we vote with our feet and don't go back - it's called the "free market"!
Saturday 31 January 2009 12.53pm
Coffee wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
AndyABC wrote:
if we could just support [email protected] at least until some other cool businesses move into the neighbourhood that would be greatly appreciated. Empty units don't really bring much to the street....

My translation software keeps reading that as: "it brings down the house prices". Is there any fix for this, anyone?

Thats a bit harsh, empty properties both residential and commercial, not only bring down house prices they, increase crime and generally make the area feel less save and a less pleasant place to be.
If I'd have highlighted the word "cool", would that have made a difference? Seems to me that (a) I'd question there being a direct link between empty property and crime, and (b) if occupancy rates are one's concern, then I don't see how the coolness of the occupier has any relevance. Didn't mean it to sound harsh. Sorry if it did.

...if you press it, they will come.
Saturday 31 January 2009 12.56pm
One thing you have to give them credit for, they know how to raise publicity for the place.
Saturday 31 January 2009 1.28pm
Possel wrote:
Getting back to Laphroaig's original complaint, surely the point is that someone in business can indeed put up whatever sign they want in their own shop. If you and I don't like their humour or their politics (or their coffee) then we vote with our feet and don't go back - it's called the "free market"!

Wow, I didn't mean to start such a big discussion over this. I was just remarking on how annoyed I was by the sign and how disappointed I was in the employees' response. I'm not going to get into a discussion about whether or not I was right to find it offensive or how good or bad a president Bush was. I agree with Possel's comment above, and was just reporting on my experience so that anyone else who felt the same way could act accordingly. I have supported [email protected] in all the discussions about the place, but I don't feel inclined to do so any more, nor to patronize them again. If you find the sign humorous, you may want to go there more often. If you also find it insulting and annoying, you may want to avoid it. That's all.
Saturday 31 January 2009 2.24pm
After seeing the sign in question, did you never think of asking them for some chalk and adding a strategically placed "tw" to said sign, then seeing what their response was?

If they became offended, you could have told them to get a grip ;0)

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 7 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions