London SE1 community website

[email protected]

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 8 of 10
Saturday 31 January 2009 4.47pm
Tolstoy wrote:
One thing you have to give them credit for, they know how to raise publicity for the place.

Not exactly good publicity, though...
Saturday 31 January 2009 6.48pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
After seeing the sign in question, did you never think of asking them for some chalk and adding a strategically placed "tw" to said sign, then seeing what their response was?
If they became offended, you could have told them to get a grip ;0)

I have puzzled over this for several minutes and still can't figure out what you mean!
Saturday 31 January 2009 6.48pm
Publicity is publicity, good or bad. A couple people boycott the place due to having their sensibilities enraged, others wonder what what all the fuss is about and go have a coffee. The last time this place came up on the forum over the signboard causing 'huge' distress due to its placement on the pavement (raised a smile that one), I went down and hung out for a bit; wasn't really my cuppa errm... coffee, too dark and not as stylish as it likes to believe itself to be. It lacks buzz, something Tinderbox in Islington has in spades.
Saturday 31 January 2009 9.32pm
Quote:
I have puzzled over this for several minutes and still can't figure out what you mean!

Oh, duh! You mean the "@" sign, of course, not the "Americans now welcome" sign. Sorry, I'm slow today. Love the idea, though!
Sunday 1 February 2009 12.24pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Coffee wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
AndyABC wrote:
if we could just support [email protected] at least until some other cool businesses move into the neighbourhood that would be greatly appreciated. Empty units don't really bring much to the street....

My translation software keeps reading that as: "it brings down the house prices". Is there any fix for this, anyone?

Thats a bit harsh, empty properties both residential and commercial, not only bring down house prices they, increase crime and generally make the area feel less save and a less pleasant place to be.
If I'd have highlighted the word "cool", would that have made a difference? Seems to me that (a) I'd question there being a direct link between empty property and crime, and (b) if occupancy rates are one's concern, then I don't see how the coolness of the occupier has any relevance. Didn't mean it to sound harsh. Sorry if it did.

Don't get too hung up on the word "cool". All I would like to see is well-run friendly businesses. I don't care if that business is making the new Dairy Milk advert or selling walking sticks, so long as there's something going on it's fine by me. If I wanted peace and quiet I'd move to the country.
Sunday 1 February 2009 3.14pm
AndyABC wrote:
All I would like to see is well-run friendly businesses

In my experience the [email protected] chain is the antonym of what folks require from a coffee-cafe chain ---> surly staff, load music, poor service, etc. Glad they have gone - during the crunch, naff places will goto the wall - looks like the whole [email protected] is doomed.
Sunday 1 February 2009 3.27pm
AndyABC wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
Coffee wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
AndyABC wrote:
if we could just support [email protected] at least until some other cool businesses move into the neighbourhood that would be greatly appreciated. Empty units don't really bring much to the street....

My translation software keeps reading that as: "it brings down the house prices". Is there any fix for this, anyone?

Thats a bit harsh, empty properties both residential and commercial, not only bring down house prices they, increase crime and generally make the area feel less save and a less pleasant place to be.
If I'd have highlighted the word "cool", would that have made a difference? Seems to me that (a) I'd question there being a direct link between empty property and crime, and (b) if occupancy rates are one's concern, then I don't see how the coolness of the occupier has any relevance. Didn't mean it to sound harsh. Sorry if it did.

Don't get too hung up on the word "cool". All I would like to see is well-run friendly businesses. I don't care if that business is making the new Dairy Milk advert or selling walking sticks, so long as there's something going on it's fine by me. If I wanted peace and quiet I'd move to the country.
Is there a limit to nested boxes of quotes?
Sunday 1 February 2009 4.27pm
markadams99 wrote:
AndyABC wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
Coffee wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
AndyABC wrote:

Is there a limit to nested boxes of quotes?
Not sure
Sunday 1 February 2009 5.10pm
I'll refrain from testing it.
Sunday 1 February 2009 5.40pm
I logged on today to see what's been happening over the weekend and either:

a) nobody posted a message yesterday
b) it's actually Saturday today and I should have been at work yesterday
c) something is wrong with my computer
d) I have finally lost the plot

Any ideas?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 8 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions