London SE1 community website

[email protected]

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 9 of 10
Sunday 1 February 2009 6.29pm
Karen, you must be missing your Daily Dose of Coffee @. [Fake laugh over applause] Well, fear not - it's open!! [Huge applause - cheerful rumba music]

It looked as dark and uninviting as ever when I walked by, earlier today. Even the handful of customers looked miserable. Mind you, the door was closed - maybe they thought they were trapped forever!
Zoe
Sunday 1 February 2009 7.06pm
I think it's clear what happened, you missed a days teaching yesterday, and today is Saturday. The children ran riot and the head is crying. Don't go to school tomorrow, it's Sunday.
Monday 2 February 2009 1.33pm
I was really pleased to walk past this morning and see that it has re-opened.

Never really seen what all the fuss is about - some people do certainly seem to have it in for this place! Perhaps people need to lighten up a bit - personally I find the majority of the gags written on their board pretty benign, certainly not offensive. The occasional one makes me smile and at least they put in an effort (I appreciate that isn't always the case with their service...) and are doing something different.

For what it's worth (and most importantly for a coffee shop), I think they do a better than average coffee - nowhere near as good as Monmouth or Tinderbox but considerably better than Costa or Starbucks .

It's a convenient thing to have on the street (much, much better than another estate agent or empty building) so I will keep using it. The fact that it is (semi) independent is all the better.
Tuesday 3 February 2009 11.38am
hey gorse,
where is Tinderbox in London - I used to go to the one on Byres Road in Glasgow (the first one I think...) when I studied there. Would be good to visit a london one!
Tuesday 3 February 2009 1.09pm
Phraze - It is in Angel, at the south end of Upper Street (pretty much opposite Angel Tube). A great coffee(in my humble opinion) and I think they have only two outlets, one here and one in Glasgow so not exactly a household name.

I heard rumours of an auction of all their internal fit out (bar the coffee machine!) about a month ago and haven't been along since so not sure if they were either moving or refurbishing. Would be interested to hear if they have!

G
Tuesday 3 February 2009 3.28pm
cheers - will have a look next time I'm up.
Tuesday 3 February 2009 6.00pm
Re: Tinderbox - They have opened up an entrance in the Mall, but still at the same location.
Wednesday 4 February 2009 1.48pm
A footnote to the previous discussion: I related the sign incident to an Australian friend, who told me she had seen a sign saying "Americans welcome with adult supervision" outside the [email protected] by Tower Bridge, before it closed. As she said, "It must be a theme for that chain."
Saturday 14 February 2009 10.02pm
If you are looking for a good Italian coffee in the area, try Fine Foods, Italian Deli at the corner of Long Lane / Wild's Rents.
Saturday 14 February 2009 10.35pm
Fine foods does nice coffee and deli products but they serve coffee only in paper cups...good for take away but not the best if you want coffee to stay
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 9 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions